Different microSD cards?

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello I've a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and I tried to put a microSD card into it. It wasn't a microSD specifically for phones / tablets and somehow it die not fit properly. The device detected the card though. So my question is wheter there are different types oft microSDs regarding the shape oft it? What could be the problem?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I don't think they will have changed shape.
I don't have a Tab S but have looked at the instructions.
Does it click in place, and spring or pull out easily.
Ideally they would have a high transfer speed classification.

Probably best to isolate what's causing the difficulty now rather than later. Check the edges of the card, and maybe carefully check the slot itself, with a magifier if you can.

Is the card from one of the big brands, and has it been well used?

jy4egygy.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
128GB microSD cards are still the same shape and form factor as 2GB cards were. If the card has to be forced in, either you're doing it wrong, there's something wrong with the slot (some extra plastic left on, maybe), there's something wrong with the socket the card plugs into or there's something wrong with the card.

When the card is in the tablet, pushing it in should feel as if you're pressing against a weak spring, and the card should release. (Only do this when the tablet is turned off or it you've unmounted the card [in the settings under Storage].)

There are only 2 types of SD card, regular and micro, and it would be impossible to get a regular card into a micro slot. (It would be like parking a 747 in your garage.)

(The "incompatibility" mentioned falls into 2 classes - cards that have more memory than the tablet is designed for [which don't damage anything, they just don't work] and counterfeit cards [which can have anything inside the "card" - which may or may not cause problems. Which is why you should buy only cards sold my the manufacturer, which limits you to SanDisk and Samsung - everyone else buys chips and puts them into cards, they don't make their own [since there are only 2 SD card chip manufacturers - SanDisk/Toshiba, sold under the SanDisk name, and Samsung].)