Galaxy S5: How to retrieve e-mail manually

A

AC Question

With my Galaxy S4, I was able to retrieve e-mail manually -- in other words, when I wanted to download mail, I hit the refresh icon, and new mail would come in. The rest of the time, mail would not come in. I'm trying to set that up on my new S5. These are the settings I've chosen:
Sync email: checked
Set sync schedule: Manual
While roaming: Manual
About mid-day today I glanced at the S5 and noticed that the mail icon was showing numerous new emails -- but I had NOT manually retrieved them. I tried unchecking the "Sync email" option, but then when I hit the refresh icon, I was told that mail is not synced. Does this mean that I have to uncheck "Sync email" most of the time, and when I want to download mail manually, I have to check it? This seems very tedious. It was very easy to do with the S4. Suggestions?

- Tina

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming you are using the stock e-mail app for this? Which e-mail service do you use (outlook/hotmail, g-mail, etc.)? There are dedicated apps for some of the more popular services if the stock app isn't working for you.

miatagrrl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm really not interested in getting a different app to manage mail -- the $600 phone itself should be able to do what I want it to, especially since I was able to do this before on my S4. I feel like I am just missing some systems option to check or uncheck, but I've looked everywhere and can't find it. I've searched through the user manual also, but it's not very helpful. Any other ideas?

- Tina