Huge background-data issue

Morten Hjort

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
This seems its not unusual unfortunately, but Android OS just eated up 7 GB yesterday in the background! On a phone with 16gb! Hows that even possible? My phone only have 354mb of images and videos so thats not some kind of backup-bug.

How can Android eat up so much (what can it be?) and how to disable that? I'm on wifi 98% of the day, so its really really odd.

Its a Nexus 5 with 4.4.4.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow that is odd... It may be Google Play service using some data.. Try clearing cache on that and see if it helps.

Has anything changed recently? Did you reset the phone or have some sort of sync on?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No app update is going to use 7GB. let alone the amount in that graph. And it's the OS itself that's using the data. Even a completely new version update is less than 1GB. I'd take the phone to the carrier and ask them to figure it out (and maybe credit me with the used data). (A glitch in the OS update could cause an update of some sort to keep looping on a particular packet, eating as much data as the network will allow the phone to download.)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I think he is, but my post was a bit dumb.
Definitely there's something wrong and maybe Google play is updating and backing up as crazy. But anyway, it's a lot of data on a very short time.

Moto G from ACF

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Try a Cache Partition wipe in Recovery Mode.

Versuchen Sie, ein Cache-Partition im Recovery-Modus zu wischen.

!

Posted via Android Central App

@Belodion - if you promise not to take offence at the humour - I don't think you will ever have a bath or a wash again, you will just have a partition wipe.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Got curious about this thread and did a little search. Checking with Gsam I saw that the vast majority of processes under Android OS are named Kworker something and found an explanation of what they are:
http://www.droidforums.net/threads/what-is-kworker.221027/

" In plain Engrish, if it is using lots of battery, it means something is working in the background, such as apps syncing or automatically downloading something (such as ads, updates) ... etc."

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
@Belodion - if you promise not to take offence at the humour - I don't think you will ever have a bath or a wash again, you will just have a partition wipe.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

(You may be sure that I shall perform a Soft Reset first. But I hope that you don't try to form a mental picture of me doing it.)

Posted via Android Central App