built-in dialer app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm asking you--is your phone rooted? You can't delete a system app like the Dialer unless you're rooted. If you're not rooted, then you may have just removed the Dialer shortcut from your homescreen. Open your App Drawer and see if you can find Dialer or Phone there. If you see it, drag it back to the homescreen.

Posted via Android Central App

Eslam Elbyaly

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
i did not do anything to "root" the phone , i just deleted the shortcut in the home screen through clicking on it for a while , then moved it to the recycle bin at the bottom of the phone ,then clicked "apps" , and the dialer was there two , and i did the same thing , because i could not uninstall it .

what is the "app drawer"

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When on the home screen, there is a button at the bottom center that looks like a small box or a circle with "dots" inside of it. When you tap on that, it will open up the app drawer that shows all of your apps. The dialer should still be in there.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How did you remove the Dialer from the App Drawer? You may have just hidden it by accident. Check the menu while in the App Drawer, and see if there is an option to see hidden apps.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you buy this phone brand new, or used? Is it possible a previous owner rooted the phone? Rooting gives the user more control over the system, but the downside is that you can accidentally delete an important system app. As I mentioned before, you should not be able to delete a system app like the Dialer if you're unrooted.

Install and run this app to see if you're phone is rooted: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&token=d_hjApqr

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Eslam Elbyaly

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
i have downloaded the app you mentioned above , and i clicked a button called "verify root " , and it said
" sorry , this device does not have proper root access" , and i think this means that the phone was not rooted .
2- i have bought the phone new , not used .
3- it is impossible that someone rooted the device .

- i am not familiar with android , but i am with windows , in windows you know that you can delete the executable files of any app ,
but if you have the source files , you can install the app again and again ,
is not it the same in android ? should not i have the sources files of the app ?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
i have downloaded the app you mentioned above , and i clicked a button called "verify root " , and it said
" sorry , this device does not have proper root access" , and i think this means that the phone was not rooted .
2- i have bought the phone new , not used .
3- it is impossible that someone rooted the device .

- i am not familiar with android , but i am with windows , in windows you know that you can delete the executable files of any app ,
but if you have the source files , you can install the app again and again ,
is not it the same in android ? should not i have the sources files of the app ?
On Android, you need root access to delete system apps (or apps that came with the phone). It isn't possible that you deleted it permanently since you are rooted. If you go into your app drawer, do you see the phone/dialer app?

Eslam Elbyaly

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
there is nothing in the app drawer , i know the app icon , and it is not exist ,
it's name was "phone" not "dialer" , but i am calling it "dialer" because it's dialer .

but it is not there ,
the only place i can see it is in the application manager in the "all" tab .

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
there is nothing in the app drawer , i know the app icon , and it is not exist ,
it's name was "phone" not "dialer" , but i am calling it "dialer" because it's dialer .

but it is not there ,
the only place i can see it is in the application manager in the "all" tab .

Does it say there if it is disabled or frozen?
Doesn't make sense that it would be gone from the app drawer but still installed on your device.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Eslam Elbyaly

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
>> Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition.
i've tried what you've said , i selected "wipe cache partition" from the options i saw , i choosed it , then
it showed me the menu again , i choosed it again , it showed me the menu again , i choosed to "reboot" ,
the mobile rebooted without any changes , the app is not in the app draw or in the home page .

>>Does it say there if it is disabled or frozen?
in the application manager when i click on the "phone" (the app) , i see the "disable" button inactive ,
i can not press it , the "force stop" button is active , and i tried before to click on it before doing the above step (swiping cache partition),
but nothing happened .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmmmm. I'm out of ideas right now. This is the kind of situation where I wish I could actually have the phone in hand to look around. Hopefully you'll be able to find some other help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463