Google Keyboard doesn't autocorrect or show predictions in any browser.

A

AC Question

Hey guys. I'm using a rooted ATT GS5.

Recently my Google Keyboard has stopped auto correcting words and showing predictions in multiple browsers, I have tried (Chrome, Chrome Beta, Firefox etc). It had been working fine after root but I switched to Swiftkey to try something different. The keyboard does work correctly in hangouts and my messaging apps. I have tried reinstalling and clearing the caches for each browser and Google Keyboard. Does anybody have any suggestions to fix this?

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here on my g2 and considering the scren on this thing has become wonky at best in accurately interpreting key strokes, its a real problem for me...its also how i found this thread.

Using google keyboard. No autocorrect at all and ive checked and rechecked settings to make sure its on.

mmcdaniel7

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem on an unrooted Galaxy Note 3, with the Samsung calendar. Samsung's keyboard and SwiftKey work fine but the Google keyboard does not auto correct or predict text in that application. It used to but it seems to have stopped with a most recent update perhaps?

Lisa Heckel

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
LG g2 I have noticed the same thing. The bar is above some times like now but I'm General when searching google through chrome or Facebook it's non existent. I guess no one has found a solution yet?

Lisa Heckel

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I ended up downloading SWIFTKEY KEYBOARD and it works a treat. Abgunn25 I defo recommend it. Also it's a smart keyboard & has cool colours to pick from. Let me know how you get on.
If anyone else has an issue like this and also the fact that the space key isn't working on the LG G4 then this is your fix. Trust me. It was making me regret my purchase until I downloaded this keyboard. Hope it helps ya'll. 😀

Mr-E9

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
After ensuring the autocorrect and next-word suggestion boxed were checked, I was still having problems. Downloading language packs fixed it for me.

English (US) language pack wouldn't download on my phone for some reason, but there was another just called English and one called English (UK). After downloading these, the problem was fixed.

snake2332

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That's not the problem. The problem is that the Google keyboard doesn't give predictions in all fields, including the address bar of Chrome or the built-in browser on your device. There are other fields that it fails to give predictions, too, which also means it's not spell-checking either. It's a huge design flaw that makes Google keyboard not even an option for most people.

Personally, I liked Swype keyboard the best because it has good options like long-press delay. However, I stopped using Swype keyboard recently because it accidentally detects a swipe when you hit 2 keys at the same time, and you can't turn off the swipe ability, sadly. Funny that I want to use it for everything OTHER than the swipe ability.

Smart Keyboard is pretty good, tons of options, but I keep hitting the A key when I try to hit SHIFT, and it felt a little less responsive than Samsung keyboard. Otherwise, this would be my favorite keyboard. I could probably adjust the keyboard to be really tall and I'd stop missing the shift key, but then it would take up too much room.

I haven't tried Swiftkey in forever because it was also failing to give predictions and spell-check in many fields, just like Google keyboard. I just installed it and it looks like it is giving predictions in every field now. Sweet, I might start using it as my main keyboard.

Kii used to be my go-to keyboard but they didn't seem to update for uhhh Android 5.1 or some time around then, so it's not an option anymore. Too bad really, they had the perfect keyboard in my opinion.

Latley, it's Samsung keyboard for me. No long-press delay setting, but luckily it's short enough (feels like 350ms maybe, and I'd like 230ms...oh well). It's responsive, gives predictions everywhere, and let's you change swiping gesture to "move cursor" instead of Swype-style typing. I wish you could make the secondary-key symbols a bit larger. They are freaking tiny even on my Note 5 and S7 Edge, and especially tiny on my work phone S6 (is that semi colon or normal colon?) My buddy complains about how it suggests email addresses from his contacts, and even though he somehow tells it not to, they come back the next day. He's super-picky though, even more so than I. I might try Swiftkey again since it looks like they improved it since last time I used it (3 years ago or something).

silmarnoe

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
This is a bit late, but of you are having the issue while typing into the search bar (address bar), check to ensure you have enabled whatever browser you use to "use web service to fix spelling errors and give predictions" (should be something like that on them all). I know this works for chrome, but it's a personal privacy preference... ease of use vs a semblance of privacy.. Now if it happens on certain sites, like this one for instance, that is controlled by the site. Similar to how sites don't predict anything in password or username spots (autofill is different), the site or "word" program they employ may be too rudimentary to allow it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781