Advantages/Disadvantages of Android Phones

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I currently use a Lumia 920 Windows Phone. I am very happy with it, but am looking to get a new phone soon. I am looking at all high-end smartphone options while waiting to see if new Windows Phones roll out this fall.

I don't know a ton about Android phones from personal experience but I do read posts regularly here at Android Central and there are occasional Android discussions on WP Central. My specific question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of switching to an Android phone when one is entrenched in the Microsoft ecosystem? I know the app situation is the issue that gets discussed the most, but that's not a huge consideration for me. What would the other issues be, both pro and con? I have a Windows 8.1 PC at home, Windows 7 laptop at work, and an original Surface Pro. I have a Gmail account, but don't really use other Google services. I'm under the general impression that having an Android phone wouldn't cramp my Windows style, but I'd like to know whether I would run into any sync or compatibility issues.

Looking at the phones, the G3 has a nice form factor. I'm not too enamored with the Galaxy S5, but I did have a good experience with my prior Samsung Focus so I have nothing against Samsung.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Exchange for Android has been buggy and caused battery drain for some in the past.
If you are entrenched in a Windows environment and happy there I don't think there are many advantages.

So, there are many 'flavors' of Android phones.
Every manufacturer (and to a lesser extent, carrier) has a different UI/UX
Different form factors and features.
Stock Android is available on Nexus devices.
Or, if you like to tinker you can root a device that has features/form you like and install a whole new interface.

Consumers will buy a phone based on what their carrier offers, what form and features different phones have.
Many (most?) will never touch the advanced settings on their phone.

I never understand when someone buys a HTC phone and then says they 'hate' Sense.
Or the same with Samsung and Touchwiz...

"Make it yours" is the biggest advantage to Android.

The Playstore has a much bigger selection.
But really, the Android advantage is in the open source, and many of us like to play with ROMs, launchers, features like NFC & wireless charging, etc...

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Exchange for Android has been buggy and caused battery drain for some in the past.
If you are entrenched in a Windows environment and happy there I don't think there are many advantages.

So, there are many 'flavors' of Android phones.
Every manufacturer (and to a lesser extent, carrier) has a different UI/UX
Different form factors and features.
Stock Android is available on Nexus devices.
Or, if you like to tinker you can root a device that has features/form you like and install a whole new interface.

Consumers will buy a phone based on what their carrier offers, what form and features different phones have.
Many (most?) will never touch the advanced settings on their phone.

I never understand when someone buys a HTC phone and then says they 'hate' Sense.
Or the same with Samsung and Touchwiz...

"Make it yours" is the biggest advantage to Android.

The Playstore has a much bigger selection.
But really, the Android advantage is in the open source, and many of us like to play with ROMs, launchers, features like NFC & wireless charging, etc...

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. E-mail sync is pretty important to me because I am entrenched in Outlook and my Hotmail account is my primary one. I use Gmail for vendors, casual, and more spammy stuff and WP syncs my e-mails very well between all my devices.

I don't really tinker with my phone, but then again Windows Phones aren't really built to tinker with too much. I might get more into it if I had an Android phone. I'm mostly missing out on the local apps, but I rely on those less than most people do. I have Qi wireless charging and love it, but AT&T has divorced themselves from that so I might be interested in a non-WP that has Qi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke