how can i back up my phone when my screen is not turning on?

A

AC Question

I am sending my phone off for repair on monday due to the screen just deciding not to turn on (i can still hear messages etc coming through) but i am trying to back my phone up but i have a password on my lockscreen which i cannot put in due to the screen being unresponsive is there anyway i can sort of bypass the password to be able to get pictures and videos off?

i know i should of backed my phone up but seen as how ive had the phone 8 weeks i was not expecting the screen to go so soon! lesson learnt there but really need pictures and videos off as its the only place my pics of my daughters are.. so please i dotn need people telling i should of backed it up.. i know :)

any advice please?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the short and most reasonable answer is no you can't get into the device. That is the reasoning behind the password protection in which you enabled. And you have already answered your other statement about not having your phone backed up or syncing your photos to a cloud service like Google.

Don't think there is much you can do here other than contact whoever is doing the warranty/repair service and see if they can try to preserve your personal data/photo's. Which they should be able to since replacing a damaged screen/digitizer would not involve wiping the device or anything of that nature.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You can see if you can pull the files with ADB (Android Debug Bridge) you would need to set your PC up for it. I don't really know how, but I am sure there are plenty of YouTube videos for it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
USB debug has to be enabled for adb to pull files. That's difficult to do with no screen, if it's not already enabled. The usual shop method is to connect another screen temporarily (which is why repair shops keep dead phones - for the parts that still work) and copy the files off.

And this is a good example of the old computer adage that any file you don't have backed up to at least 2 different destinations is a file you don't need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy