Question on updating a rooted phone from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4

rnutter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a moto G that I rooted a few days ago. This was my first time at rooting.
Just got an a notice on the phone tonight that 4.4.4 is available to apply.

I read something when I was researching rooting my phone that I shouldnt apply updates.

I unlocked the bootloader and then rooted the phone. The instructions I went from didnt say to relock the bootloader.

Is it safe to apply the update ? I am prepared to re-root the phone if that is needed.

Suggestions ?

Ron

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Rule of thumb is to not accept updates while rooted. At best the update won't install. I have heard of instances where updating can cause a bricked device, but that was for Samsungs as I recall.

You would have to fully unroot to possibly accept the update. Even then, you may have to reflash the original ROM in order to continue.

rnutter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
If I have to fully unroot, then I first have to unroot. I take it there is a program for that ? That way I unrooted, there wasnt a fallback option given. Once I have have unrooted, the I have to relock the bootloader ?

Where do I get a copy of the original rom ? Where do I find the instructions for how to flash the rom ?

Thanks,

Ron