Phone won't accept Samsung 16GB micro sd memory card

A

AC Question

Phone has been working fine with Samsung 16GB micro sd since I had the phone 4 months ago but since receiving an update yesterday the phone has been nothing but trouble and have had to revert back to my iphone until I can sort out the problem. Have now managed to narrow the problem down to what appears to be the micro sd card. Phone works fine without the memory card but when I insert the sd card the phone will start up ok and goes to home screen but then will either freeze with a black screen/Samsung logo or will just turn itself off. Anyone had problems like this with the latest update and can anyone tell me what to do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

dumply

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Its a Samsung Galaxy S4. Originally the phone updated or started to update (I was driving at the time so didn't notice the phone start to upsate) then just froze with a black screen and the Samsung logo and I left it like that for a couple of hours thinking that it was installing the update but eventually I thought there was something not right and I turned it off and on several times and all it would do was go to the black screen with the Samsung logo. I tried several other things that people had written about on other forums but still ended up with the black screen. Yesterday I thought I'd take out the micro sd card and see what happens and it started up ok so I put the sd card back in but again ended up with the black screen, I tried this several times and decided it was something to do with the memory card.
If I follow your link, am I likely to lose everything on the card or will it just check the card but leave everything intact on it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It will ask you if you want to recover or quarantine any bad sectors, which would likely make files there inaccessible. If the sectors are bad, the files are likely inaccessible anyway.

dumply

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Have checked the card and says 'Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems, no further action required'. Before I checked the card I managed to copy Music, Pictures and itunes music to another memory card which I put into the phone. Phone started up ok and seemed to be working ok all of last night until this morning when I took the card out and put the card in that has been causing trouble and it turned on ok but then went to the black screen with the samsung logo. Turned it on a couple more times but it either turned itself off or went to the black screen. Changed card over to the new 1 I'd copied music, pictures ans itunes on but although it turned on ok and went to the home screen, after about a minute or so it just turned off. I tried turning it on a few more times but it just keeps turning off. Can't understand why the new card was ok last night/overnight but since retrying the original card this morning the new one has started playing up. Would it be possible to uninstall the update which seems to have caused the problem in the first place.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Rolling back a system update can be complex, and I believe requires rooting. I don't know the process in detail.

There may be a specific file or files on the SD card that is corrupt (which wouldn't necessarily be caught by chkdsk, because a corrupt file doesn't necessarily mean a bad sector). Copying that file to the new card may have simply transferred the problem to the new card.

When you're removing your SD cards, are you unmounting them first in Settings>Storage? If you're just popping it out without unmounting, it might be causing corruption. If you remove it while the phone is powered off, that's ok.

dumply

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I think I may have taken it out of the phone on Sunday without turning it off but since then the phone turned itself off so then I've taken it out.
Yesterday morning I put the new card in again and since then to now, it seems ok, hasn't switched off or gone to the black screen so now I've put an EE sim card in as I'm reluctant to try the sim that I always use and will see if anything happens in the meantime. If that seems ok I will try the other card again and see if it still turns off. Will let you know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad