lack of street names in Google Map directions

A

AC Question

I have an LG930 from Consumer Cellular. I am very pleased with the phone except when I try to use Google Maps. The voice directions simply say "turn right in 1000 feet", they do not say the name of the street. All other friends who use Androids have their phones give them the street names. I find the voice directions to be relatively useless without the street names especially when I am driving in areas with many streets close to each other. I have checked all of my settings and have found none that refer to the level of detail for the voice directions.Tech support has not been helpful. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks Gaelyn in McMInnville OR

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've seen a number of threads dating back as far as 2012 discussing this issue, without any clear solution. Did your phone ever speak street names?

Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Maps, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again. If that doesn't work, then try uninstalling all updates, then reinstalling updates from Google Play.

Larry Hollar

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have tried those options to no avail. I am real confused as to why some one else's phone with the same Android OS version 4.0.4 and the same Maps update would give them street by street directions and my phone doesn't? My hardware will not allow me to upgrade beyond my current OS. Thanks for the ideas.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Install the latest version of Maps and the problem will go away. I had the same issue until about a week ago. Also take a look at settings in the new version and reset from there. Good luck.!!

Larry Hollar

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I was not able to uninstall Google Maps. It is not even listed in my list of apps. Apparently it was preloaded on to my phone at the LG factory. I could uninstall the updates and get back to the base 2012 version of Maps. I then installed the current update version 8.3.1. It still does not give me the street name directions. I do not even have the option of changing the level of accuracy for the voice directions. Could my problem have something to do with the base Maps program from 2012 still being on my phone? Thanks for the continued advice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, it shouldn't matter which version you started off with--it should have updated to the version that everyone has now.

I wonder if it has something to do with a specific phone's hardware.

Larry Hollar

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
For some reason I thought to check my text to speech program. Pico TTS had come preinstalled. I installed the latest Google TTS. I used a high quality voice and now my Google Maps gives me directions with the street names included! I don't understand why the TTS had anything to do with it but the newer Google version seems to have solved the problem. The Pico TTS program worked, it just did not include the street names. Thanks for your assistance!