Help! Samsung Galaxy S4 fell in toilet, screen is now black with green lines!

A

AC Question

Hi, so 48 hours ago, my Samsung Galaxy S4 happened to fall in the toilet. Reacting quickly, I grabbed it and wiped it off. However, when I picked it up, the screen was all wonky and looked glitchy(black with different coloured lines) I'm not sure if it's from the phone hitting the side of the toilet before taking a plunge or water damage. We didn't have rice in the house, so I ran over to the store which is about less than a minute walk and grabbed some rice. I then placed my phone in the rice. About 20 minutes later, I forgot that I still had the battery in, so I went and took it out, along with my sd card and sim card and took the back cover off. After that, I left my phone in for 48 hours like most people say to do.
Today I went to try and turn on my phone and the screen just flickered green lines at the top, however, it did buzz. So I decided to try it without the battery and the charger instead, but the screen just flickered in the middle. After that, I decided to try it with both charger and battery, and the screen was black with green lines all over it. But it did buzz again. I've decided to put it back in the rice for a few more days to see if it'll do anything.

Anyone know if it's water damage or something else? If so, how much would it cost to get repaired? My company doesn't cover water damage under the policy and it's a month old phone, so I can't really afford a new one as I'd have to pay off this phone first.
Note: Phone was only in water for 3-5 seconds.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if the phone was submerged for only 5 seconds--the fact is that it was submerged, which probably allowed water to get into the internal workings of the phone. The damage could very well go beyond the screen, so it may not be worth looking into paying to replace the screen, because if they successfully replace the screen only to find that the phone just doesn't work right due to water damage to other key components, then you're down $100-150 already. You may just want to start looking for a new phone. Sorry!