Looking for a new device

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I will try to give as much information as possible, thanks in advance for helping me out.

Smartphone History:
iPhone 4S
Samsung Galaxy S3
Nokia Lumia ICON

I am currently on Verizon, and my contract is going to end on the 1st of October when I plan to make the switch to T-Mobile with my family. We have been paying too much for service, for far too long. Also, the bulk of my data usage is music streaming so T-Mobile's "Music Freedom" is definitely right for me.

I am looking for an Android phone because after having used iOS, Android, and WP I have decided that Android is the best platform for me. With my Galaxy S3 I used to flash custom ROMs left and right, but when Samsung Knox locked me from doing that I abandoned ship almost immediately.

Okay, enough background:

Budget: I am trying to stay south of $700 on this one, because I am paying for the full price of the phone.

Battery: I am looking for a phone with a solid battery life, nothing too incredible, but enough to stand up to about 4 hours of hands on usage typically texting, listening to music, or web browsing. The battery in my current ICON is not pitiful, but could surely last a bit longer; I get from about 6AM-9PM on the device.

Storage: A device with expandable storage would be a blessing because I have a music collection totalling over 40GB and I wouldn't mind having all of that on my device so I do not have to stream with Google Play Music or my Spotify Subscription all the time.

Display: Currently I use a 5in screen and I could go either way. My hands are comfortable enough on phablet sized devices, but 4in phones feel like tic tacs in my hand. 1080P is plenty, I do not do much to warrant more. I am more a music than a movie person.

Camera: I bought the ICON because of the supposedly excellent 20MP shooter, to come to find out that its low-light performance is atrocious. Any phone that takes decent images in both light and dark settings would be greatly appreciated.

Extra tech: I really do not care about fingerprint scanners, heartbeat sensors, dust/water proofness etc. Ability to do Qi charging would be nice, but is not needed.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I will try to give as much information as possible, thanks in advance for helping me out.

Smartphone History:
iPhone 4S
Samsung Galaxy S3
Nokia Lumia ICON

I am currently on Verizon, and my contract is going to end on the 1st of October when I plan to make the switch to T-Mobile with my family. We have been paying too much for service, for far too long. Also, the bulk of my data usage is music streaming so T-Mobile's "Music Freedom" is definitely right for me.

I am looking for an Android phone because after having used iOS, Android, and WP I have decided that Android is the best platform for me. With my Galaxy S3 I used to flash custom ROMs left and right, but when Samsung Knox locked me from doing that I abandoned ship almost immediately.

Okay, enough background:

Budget: I am trying to stay south of $700 on this one, because I am paying for the full price of the phone.

Battery: I am looking for a phone with a solid battery life, nothing too incredible, but enough to stand up to about 4 hours of hands on usage typically texting, listening to music, or web browsing. The battery in my current ICON is not pitiful, but could surely last a bit longer; I get from about 6AM-9PM on the device.

Storage: A device with expandable storage would be a blessing because I have a music collection totalling over 40GB and I wouldn't mind having all of that on my device so I do not have to stream with Google Play Music or my Spotify Subscription all the time.

Display: Currently I use a 5in screen and I could go either way. My hands are comfortable enough on phablet sized devices, but 4in phones feel like tic tacs in my hand. 1080P is plenty, I do not do much to warrant more. I am more a music than a movie person.

Camera: I bought the ICON because of the supposedly excellent 20MP shooter, to come to find out that its low-light performance is atrocious. Any phone that takes decent images in both light and dark settings would be greatly appreciated.

Extra tech: I really do not care about fingerprint scanners, heartbeat sensors, dust/water proofness etc. Ability to do Qi charging would be nice, but is not needed.

The HTC One M8 ticks all those boxes my friend. Not to sure on the price of the phone in the US but in the UK you can pick one up for 300 pound. I have the M8 as my daily phone, the battery life is excellent. Most nights I still have approx 40% left on the battery when I charge it.

It comes with the option to add micro sd cards on the phone, which is always a plus if you have what sounds like all of the music in the world ;)

Display is amazing, can't fault it in low light, bright sunlight conditions. I also have this up at full brightness and as I covered above, it doesnt impact the battery from what I can see.

The camera is great, 4mp isnt the biggest number on paper but as long as you arent planning on making massive copies of the pictures then the m8 will certainly do. It also shines in low light conditions, from what I have seen anyways.

It doesnt have any fingerprint nonsense, sensors, water proofing etc but sadly it isnt compatible with Qi charging due to its amazing body!

So yeah, buy the M8 lol

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
The HTC One M8 ticks all those boxes my friend. Not to sure on the price of the phone in the US but in the UK you can pick one up for 300 pound. I have the M8 as my daily phone, the battery life is excellent. Most nights I still have approx 40% left on the battery when I charge it.

It comes with the option to add micro sd cards on the phone, which is always a plus if you have what sounds like all of the music in the world ;)

Display is amazing, can't fault it in low light, bright sunlight conditions. I also have this up at full brightness and as I covered above, it doesnt impact the battery from what I can see.

The camera is great, 4mp isnt the biggest number on paper but as long as you arent planning on making massive copies of the pictures then the m8 will certainly do. It also shines in low light conditions, from what I have seen anyways.

It doesnt have any fingerprint nonsense, sensors, water proofing etc but sadly it isnt compatible with Qi charging due to its amazing body!

So yeah, buy the M8 lol

Thanks for the reply, I have been seriously considering the device. The fact that there is an active CyanogenMod build is pretty good news for me.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
For price, the Nexus X and the OPO.

For battery, the OPO. And I forgot your other criteria.

For Qi charging the Nexus X?

For storage the OPO.

For display the OPO or Nexus X.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
For price, the Nexus X and the OPO. For battery, the OPO. And I forgot your other criteria. For Qi charging the Nexus X. :/

Dealbreakers:
1) Nexus X will probably go the way of not having expandable memory.
2) It does not yet exist.

And Kevin, I probably will not be able to wait until February because we want to leave our carrier that loves to charge too much and I can't get back to Android quick enough.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Dealbreakers:

And Kevin, I probably will not be able to wait until February because we want to leave our carrier that loves to charge too much and I can't get back to Android quick enough.

Fair enough :) also the M8 is the best for playing music, the speakers blow every other smartphone out the water, plus when I bought the phone I got cool HTC ear buds, which I use daily and they are also great

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Dealbreakers:

Look for OPO preorders in October. By then the Nexus X may exist too. :D but hey, the Nexus 5 is still an excellent phone too. Also, the Moto X or the Moto G.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante