Why won't my screen backlight come on after I turn the screen off?

Massyboy

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Screen backlight won't come on after screen off

Hi all,

Last night, the battery on my Note 10.1 2014 had totally drained while it was in my bag which was annoying. When I charged it and turned it on, everything worked fine. That was until the screen timeout occured and I went to use it again. When I turned the screen on, I could faintly see the text displaying the time and the menu and back keys were illuminated but that was all. The screen was functioning but I couldn't see anything. Also, when I connect it to my tv via HMDI, I can see evrything fine. Anyone got any bright ideas as the backlight obviously isn't broken?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Screen backlight won't come on after screen off

Do you mean you can see what's on the screen (i.e. very low brightness) or it's just pitch black? Have you tried rebooting the tablet or connecting a charger when you're 'using' it?

Massyboy

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

I can JUST about see the numbers from the time but it's very hard to make anything else out. It's lower than when the brightness slider is at it's lowest setting. When I reboot the tablet, the screen works as normal until I turn the screen off or it times out and then the same issue. It's currently charging and does the same thing then too :/

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

This sounds like the backlight driver going nuts... If it works at reboot but not after screen-off, the backlight is not coming on afterwards, but at least you know the hardware is working, which is good.

Now let's try to figure the software part out. Can you please try to enter your tablet in Safe Mode? Does it do the same? Also, check to see if you have any power saving apps or options turned on. Maybe turning these off can help.

Sorry, forgot the link to instructions in case you need them. They're for T-Mobile's version but it should work if your tablet is WiFi only.
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10869

Massyboy

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for taking the time to help me try to fix this.

Tried entering into safe mode following the instructions provided and managed to succesfully do so with Safe Mode appearing in the bottom left but the problem persists. I don't have any power saving apps installed and power saving mode is disabled too :/

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Hummm... it seems something has gone wonky with the software then. I really don't want to recommend this, but it seems a factory reset might be in order here, just to try and see if that'll settle it. I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Massyboy

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

Ok well I installed a stock ROM to see if it would fix it but to no avail. It's still doing the same thing. Any other options I could try? Any additional tick boxes in ODIN for example?

Massyboy

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

I can't imagine it could be as it works properly when turned on from boot. If it was hardware, it wouldn't come on at all would it? I've now contacted Samsung and asked for it to be repaired. With Knox being tripped though, I'm a little concerned it'll cost me!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma