Galaxy S5 won't show fingerprint scanner on lock, always asks for alternative password.

A

AC Question

So I come home from college and my mom tells me that she's having trouble with her Galaxy S5.

Apparently she has fingerprint auth for the phone lock screen. However now it only shows the alternative password screen when the phone is locked. She doesn't remember setting an alternative password, so now she is locked out of her phone. I tried restarting the phone several times and every time it goes straight to the alternative password screen. I tried pressing the home or back button to go back to the regular lock screen so that she can use her fingerprint, but nothing happens. I don't think she has her phone setup with Google, so I can't reset the password using the device manager.

I have a Galaxy S5 myself also setup with fingerprint auth and have never had anything like this happen. Anyone have any ideas?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would take it to the carrier to see if they can help you with this. Also I would check with her to see if she did set it up with a Google account (usually most people do for email, contacts, etc.)

Chazz Meredith

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I am having this same problem on my phone. I went to unlock the screen which is normally on fingerprint unlock, and it only offers alternative password unlock now. I did manage to get into it; but it won't go back to fingerprint unlock.

Once I got into the phone, it required password unlock for the screen. I have changed that back to fingerprint; but it still doesn't offer that when the screen is locked. I am not sure what I up. This is the first time this has happened. I have used the fingerprint to get into several of the security settings, so I know it is working. It just doesn't offer it for unlocking the screen now.

AkiraNamir

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
From what I understand is you couldn't enter using your fingerprint scanner but by other means. I myself am suffering from this same problem. Unable to use my fingerprint scanner, having forgotten my alternate password, and the Android Device Manger not working I am left clueless. Could you tell me exactly how you were able to gain access to your phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay