New hangouts question.

kuykendallc

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I have searched and cannot find an answer to this. I have updated all the involved apps and have been asked to merge voice into hangouts, so I think I have everything good to go in that regard. However, when I create a new message, it defaults to my google voice number and I cannot change it to default to my carrier number. The only way I can get it to default to my carrier number is to change the setting from smart reply. Also, my google voice number is not showing up in the list of options to communicate with people in existing hangout messages (the options drop down to the left of the textbox where you type the conversation). Am I missing something, or an easy setting?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't have Google Voice, but it seems that a lot of issues with the updated Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer apps can be solved by logging out of them (either one - it will log you out of the other one automatically) and rebooting.

I don't know if this will solve your specific issue, but it's worth a shot. And if it doesn't I hope someone with better "hands on knowlege" can help you out!

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue, and the only way I've found to workaround this is by changing your SMS reply from option

* Go to Settings > SMS
* Tap Send SMS from
* Choose your mobile number

Unfortunately this basically kills the point of merging Google Voice into Hangouts, but it'll let you start conversations from your mobile number again.

kuykendallc

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have done this and agree it does kill the point. At least its been validated by another person and isn't just an issue with my phone. In the initial pictures on AC, it looked like you could change from the toggle to the left of the message textbox. Google's documentation also states that a new message would default with your carrier's number. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.