On the ASUS 7HD ME173X - I tap buttons, some work, some don't

A

AC Question

HI. This started happening a few weeks ago and is getting worse. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it is starting to happen much more frequently - when I try to tap certain buttons, nothing happens. This seems totally random to me; here are a few examples of when it happens: when I try to tap some OK buttons, it doesn't work; I try all different ways of tapping, long holds, short holds, different parts of the button, but nothing. In the same dialog box, I try to press the CANCEL button which, more times than not, won't work either.
Similarly, I try to tap a button in a list of choices and I can only get the button above or below the one I want to work! Again, I try al sorts of angles, areas on the button, still won't work. Right now, my Kindle app is open and I want to reduce the text size. I went to the settings box and tapped the MINUS button and nothing is happening. I was able to reduce the the size using a gesture, but there aren't any alternative fixes for most of the buttons that aren't working.

I have restarting the tablet a number of times and closed and reopened apps. This will sometimes correct some of these issues, but not all. I cleared the cache and that didn't help. I haven't reset the tablet to factory settings because I'm afraid of what I might lose. I'm not very tablet savvy, but I did back up the Apps and related data to a SD card. I'm sooo frustrated! Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Try a factory reset and see if its fixed. If not, then it's likely a sensitivity issue or a bad panel. If it's hardware related then you'll need to contact Asus for repair or replacement.

mjb65

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll give that a try - like I said, I backed up my apps to the SD card - will I be able to restore everything else - photos, writing, downloaded books? In SETTINGS under BACKUP & RESET, I have been backing up my data to Google servers and have the AUTO RESTORE box checked. Will I have to save all my pics on Google so I can put them back on the tablet?
Basically - Would love a little advice on how not to lose everything I have when I do the factory reset.

gazza243

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if you managed to fix this but I had the same problem. It seem the ribbon inside for the screen and digitizer works itself lose. Just pop the back cover off and repeat the ribbon. It may look fine but take it out and clip it in again hope this helps you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34