Preferred Network: LTE/legacy 3GPP mode

A

AC Question

After getting the Verizon 4.4.3 kitkat update on my M8, I noticed the previous network of LTE/CDMA is missing from my preferred network options. The options now are: LTE mode, CDMA mode, LTE/legacy 3GPP mode, and Global mode. Does anyone know if the legacy 3GPP mode acts like the LTE/CDMA mode I had before?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's probably correct. My guess is that they are now offering an LTE only mode in anticipation of the VoLTE rollout (thus allowing both voice and data over LTE, without the need for CDMA).

cujou

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, B. Diddy. I problem I foresee with choosing the LTE mode — before the VoLTE rollout — is what if I'm in an area that doesn't have 4G? I don't think it will switch to 3G automatically. Instead, it will probably tell you that you don't have a connection and would need to switch networks. This might become a nuisance. Should I stay on Global mode then? I'm not sure what the LTE/legacy 3GPP mode does.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think LTE/legacy 3GPP is the same as the old LTE/CDMA setting. The easiest thing to do is probably to go to an area where you know LTE is a little iffy, and use that setting.

mc_365

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Any further info on this. I'm not able to send MMS text while on wifi, which basically means I can't send MMS while at home unless I toggle the wiifi off. I don't believe the phone should function this way.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So you have both wi-fi and mobile data on? The device ought to know that mobile data is on, so that it can use it to send the MMS, although I have heard of issues where the wi-fi seems to override the mobile data, and thus prevent MMS from being sent.

mc_365

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
So you have both wi-fi and mobile data on? The device ought to know that mobile data is on, so that it can use it to send the MMS, although I have heard of issues where the wi-fi seems to override the mobile data, and thus prevent MMS from being sent.
Exactly as you described, the 4GLTE icon kind of brightens then the Wifi traffic arrows start blinking, then it fails. If I turn the wifi off the message will then transmit as expected.
There's no way to change the APN so my next guess is it is something with the Network Setting, and as noted in the OP the setting has changed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs