Entire audio file won't show, help?

LolloJberg

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I just put in a new audiobook on my phone and it shows up as just 3 minutes long. If it's on play it can go past this point (It's 11 hours long) but if I paus it jumps back to 3 minutes.

The file is an mp3 and if I play it in itunes it works just fine. I'm using MortPlayer when listening to my audiobooks but it's the same problem on the music player that comes with the phone. I own a Samsung S4 Mini and other books/files have worked just fine.

Any idea what's going on?

EDIT
Just checked and when I drag and drop it to the phone the file says it's 11 hours long and when I diconnect, that's when it changes into 3 min, cause when I connect the phone to my computer (via USB) again it's down to 3 min.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How big is the file? Where are you copying the file to, the external microSD card or the internal storage? There might be a filesize limitation that is causing a problem, since FAT32 (the usual SD card format) limits files to 4 GB.

LolloJberg

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
It's bigget than 4, it's 6. I don't have an SD-card in it though. Not that I have put in at least?
I'm copying it directly on to the phone as far as I know, into the music folder it holds. Is there a limit there too?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure out what the filesystem format for the S4's internal storage is. If it's also FAT32, then it would also have a 4 GB filesize limit. If it's another format like EXT4, then there should be no practical filesize limit. Trying to gather more info.

LolloJberg

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
It's okay ;)

It seems like the file itself is shortens down though. Not just in the apps. I tried the one you suggested though but still the same problem. I guess the only thing I can do is split the files :/

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's more like a "misunderstanding" error, I think - whoever created the audiobook didn't understand that a lot of storage media is going to have that 4GB filesize limitation, and that they should make a couple of volumes out of the book. Splitting the file is about the easiest way to fix it and, if split at a logically sensible point, doesn't cause a problem. (Unless it's James Joyce - then finding the end of a sentence may be difficult in only 6GB. Or Coe's "The Rotters Club", which has the longest sentence in the English language [about 70k in text - I have no idea how long that would be as an audio file when spoken].)