Can I switch to a new caller and hang up on my existing call?

raidencmc

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
If I am on a phone call and another call comes in the only options I have are to answer or ignore the call. Is there a way to end the call I am currently on and then answer the second call?
What if I answer the second call and put the first on hold, how do I hang up the second and return to the first?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you answer the call waiting, then the original caller can either wait on hold or hang up. If he hangs up, then the call is terminated. If he stays on the line, then he will remain on hold until you end the second call. When you end the second call, and if the original caller is still on the line, you'll be dumped back to that call (and hopefully he won't be annoyed that he was on hold for so long!:p).

raidencmc

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that's how it has worked for me. In the first scenario if the original caller hangs up I still see swap call option and when I do that I have returned to no call. In the second scenario I don't think I have the option to end the second call.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Best thing to do would be to test it out. Ask a friend of yours to call you about 30 seconds after initiating a call to some automated 800 service, or make a call to one friend, and then have another friend call you in the middle. What I was saying is what I remember, but either one of us could be misremembering the exact details.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I just tested out one scenario on my Nexus 5. I called my work automated voicemail with the Nexus 5. Then I called my Nexus 5 with my land line. When I answered the call waiting on my Nexus 5, there was a clear red hangup button, so when I hung up on the call from my land line, it dumped me back to the work voicemail call.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's very carrier-depemdent and slightly phone-dependent. There's no one way that all phones on all carriers work. As B. Diddy did, you'll have to get a couple of phone numbers, make a couple of calls and see how it works with your phone/carrier combination.

raidencmc

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I just seem to remember returning to a call that had hung up but it was still connected. The reason this came about is my father rarely hangs up when he is done talking. So if a call came in during our call. He would still be there after I was done the second call which seemed like a waste of minutes. Thanks for the help guys.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908