Convert Japanese Huawei HW302 Ascend P6 to English

A

AC Question

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and could very much use your help. While in Japan I purchased my first smart phone. As near as I can tell, it is a Huawei Ascend P6 S P6S-L04 TD-LTE 302HW (Huawei Echo). It is a beautiful thing, very light, thin and compact with a 4.7 in screen and all the bells and whistles that Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) supposedly offers. Unfortunately, this phone only speaks Japanese as it was meant only for the Japanese domestic market, and I don't know enough of the language to get anything useful from the device. I could find NO English manual online, only a Japanese pdf, and it only explains the basic features. I have set the OS to English but that doesn't go far enough. Only the basic settings are displayed in English, all the icons, applications and system messages are still in Japanese. I can't even get it to display Google's webpage without it defaulting to the Japanese version. /NCR (No Country Redirect) is only partially useful as it doesn't cover all websites.

I live and travel a lot in Asia and don't want a phone that requires a different contract for each country that I happen to visit. All I need is a phone that is Skype capable and I'm good to go. The contract that came with the phone is Y! Mobile and it works fine in Japan. In all other countries I use my apartment's protected wifi or whatever free-wifi zone I can find (Starbucks mostly) to make free internet calls world-wide. But all those fancy apps you guys are so fond of, I can't touch them. I don't have the slightest idea on how to even download them.

So here's my question: Can I flash a new OS into the thing, a true English version - Android 4.4 Kit Kat for example, and can you give me detailed instructions that this old expatriate can understand so I can finally have a phone that speaks my native tongue?

Thanks, I appreciate any help you can offer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles