Camera out of focus GS5

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I remember on my GS3 I could take a picture of anything, no matter the size or distance, and it would focus when I tapped that space on the screen. Now my phone does not do that. I tap the screen and it tries to focus, brings the image into focus, and then back out again. Most times now I need to focus from farther away from the object, and then either zoom or slowly move the camera closer. What is going on? The camera is a huge selling point for this phone and I want it to work!

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How new is the phone? You're sure you removed any plastic film protecting the lens, right? And the lens glass is as clean as possible? If the behavior continues, I wouldn't waste much time and ask the store for a replacement.

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I got the phone back at the end of May. And yes I removed the plastic.

I tested the camera against my hand. If I put my hand about 5 inches from the camera, it won't focus on the palm. I need to tap it several times in different areas for it to focus. If I bring it a little farther away it works better, or if I bring it closer and focus on a different object, like a finger, then it is fine... I don't know why. I tap the screen and the circle turns red in many cases, where I was used to it turning green with my old phone.

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmm...sometimes it also turns green and is not completely in focus. I guess it isn't a big deal, it's just when I photograph up very close. Many times it focuses properly on its own and turns green without tapping it..

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or go to your carrier's repair location, which is probably pretty close unless you live out in the boondocks. They may replace the phone on the spot, no waiting for it to arrive in the mail. (The S5 has been out long enough now for them to have replacements on hand.)

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
They aren't gonna replace the phone, it's out of the 3 month warrantee thing. Now I would probably need to pay the $200 insurance price for a new phone....

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone should be under Samsung's 1 year warranty. You won't get a brand new phone, you'll get a refurb, but you don't have a brand new phone now. (A refurb is usually as good as, if not better than, a new phone. It has more hands testing it before it's shipped.)