ChatOn and Samsung Apps

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
ChatOn always automatically downloads itself on my phone even when I uninstall or delete it.

This is the same for few other Samsung Apps. How can I avoid these? I don't want them all, but especially ChatOn is annoying because it updates itself so often.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the only way to get rid of these is to root and delete. These are all part of Samsung's TouchWiz package, so you can't really uninstall them, just uninstall updates and turn them off. The downside is that they'll ALWAYS show up in your Galaxy Apps list, and since you uninstalled updates, they will always show up in the UPDATES list. You need to turn off the AutoUpdate option (which, annoyingly, is also set to ON by default) on Galaxy Apps.

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to try rooting but I'm not that tech savvy... unsure if I would be successful..

Where do I turn off the auto update for Samsung apps? Also does anyone have a use for ChatOn? It seems stupid to me and nobody uses it

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Appraently it's taking off in some of Europe and China... Go figure.

For the auto-update, go into Galaxy Apps, tap the overflow button, select Settings, and just change your Auto Update Apps policy.

You can also do this individually (and just to be on the safe side, do this too even if you turn auto update off in the general switch) by going to the specific app's description. You should see an auto-update option there right below the screenshots.

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its weird because I just updated from samsung apps to Galaxy Apps and turned off auto update apps but underneath it still says update galaxy apps on WiFi and I can't turn that off. Other than that setting I'm actually liking the organization.

Also what is the difference b/t using the Samsung app store and the play store to buy the same app? Nothing?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Usually, it's the same version. BUT I've downloaded apps from Samsung or Amazon before, and sometimes they don't update as often for some reason (SoundHound was like 4 versions ahead of the one from Samsung, and one of the games they offered for free from Gameloft for the Note 2 just never updated at all, while the Play Store version kept getting fixes and added content). So, I try to download from Samsung or Amazon when they're giving out free stuff that costs money on the Play Store (Amazon gives a premium app away daily, even though most of those are crappy) or apps that are made specifically for Samsung.