I have been getting a SIM Card error message lately on my HTC One M8, 4.4.2. I get the icon where it tells me no SIM the the message that says preparing SIM card. I went to the ATT store the girl said the sim was fine. I am wondering if I should try one of the above in the title or not.

If so, which one would keep me from losing my personal information as well as music and photos as such?

Thanks!
    09-29-2014 10:22 AM
    Wiping the cache partition will preserve your personal data. Instructions are here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...tc-one-m8.html

The AT&T store didn't help you out any further? They just said your SIM is fine, thank you very much? Did you demonstrate the problem to them, or was it not acting up at that time? One possibility is that the contacts for the SIM card are dirty or otherwise faulty, but I'm not sure how you could test that out--you'd probably have to contact HTC for warranty work.
    09-29-2014 12:03 PM
    I went to the store told her it is only happening on my street, not street over, behind or close to, just my street. She looked at the sim and said it was fine and that I might need a new phone but didnt say lets try a new sim and see. That is why I am asking here
    09-29-2014 12:09 PM
    Seems odd that it would only occur on your street. You could request a new SIM, although they might charge you for it.
    09-29-2014 01:01 PM
    I think it is strange as well. I will call customer service and see what they say. Thanks
    09-29-2014 01:42 PM
    "Looked at your SIM"? After 40 years in the business, and an EE degree, I still have no idea how to even begin to tell if a SIM is bad by looking at it. Remember, the people in the front of the store (where you shop) are sales people - just like the people at Walmart and Target. They're NOT phone technicians. Go back to the store and ask where the nearest Device Support Center is.

Go there and tell them what the problem is. They'll at least check your phone out, maybe flash a new SIM (they cost AT&T a few cents each - they don't get upset if they have to give you a new one).

If the problem is only on your street, they might call engineering to see if there's a problem - or even to send someone out to find out what's wrong. AT&T is a little more expensive - but their desire to keep your connection working is worth it.

(I'd normally say bad SIM or bad SIM socket, but that won't change when you go to the next block, so ... But the "Preparing SIM" error message has nothing to do with the signal, which is what will change when you move around. This is one of the reasons electronic diagnosticians have grey hair - what little is left of it after they pull the rest out. They see so much that can't happen, but it does happen. And you don't tell your boss, "Sorry, I can't figure this one out.")
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-29-2014 03:20 PM
    Thanks, I did look at her rather strange, lol. I am going to try wiping the cache and then a reset to see. If not I will request a new card.
    09-29-2014 05:04 PM
    Do you have any spare phone? Try the sim there first before you reset your phone..

Sent from my phone with tapatalk
    09-30-2014 04:21 AM
    I have my M7. But the cards are not the same size
    09-30-2014 07:06 AM
    If you look on Amazon or eBay, you'll see that you can buy a set of SIM adapters for under $2, shipping included. You can adapt any SIM to a larger size SIM slot. (I use my microSIM in my old - and I mean old, it actually has a camera - phone that uses a full size SIM.)
    09-30-2014 09:11 AM
    I am going to check it out. I am calling them today though. I wiped the cache and it still happened, not as much, but still.
    09-30-2014 09:21 AM
    I found some locations of Device Support Centers in Texas. AT&T split the state north and south, so I will provide both links for each half.

North: http://www.wireless.att.com/support_..._cust_form.pdf

South: http://www.wireless.att.com/support_..._cust_form.pdf

I would consider making an appointment either by phone or online.

Device Support Center locations - AT&T Wireless
    09-30-2014 09:31 AM
    Making an appointment may save a few minutes, but I've never waited more than half an hour from walking in to walking out. But I'm retired, so I don't go in on Saturday or during lunch hour.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    09-30-2014 10:02 AM
    So you think its my device and not card? Thanks for the links. There is a location in Shreveport LA that might be closer for me.
    09-30-2014 11:23 AM
    So you think its my device and not card? Thanks for the links. There is a location in Shreveport LA that might be closer for me.
    I am not sure honestly. A new card couldn't hurt though.
    09-30-2014 09:02 PM
    I am going to try that today. I hate doing a factory reset.
    10-01-2014 08:20 AM