My N5 has been performing great since I got it in Nov 2013. I went to Europe for a few weeks in September 2014, and had some problems getting my email to load. I get email on att.net and gmail.com. The problem was only with my att.net mail, which is coming through the android.imap.mail.yahoo.com server, port 993.

Another problem was that my wife likes to skim msn.com for her news, but when I typed in msn.com on my Chrome browser, it would take me to the Spanish MSN, es.msn.com. This was very annoying, but we lived with it.

I've been back in California since 9/24/2014, but when I try to get msn, I still get taken to the Spanish site. Is there some way that my default DNS server is still in Europe?

Now to the main problem: my email client is using 55% of my battery, and is draining fast. The phone is always hot. These symptoms are being reported in many forums, but no one has a definitive solution. I deleted my att.net mail account under the imap client, and will attempt to re-load it in the morning. In the meantime, does anyone have any input on this? Could both problems be related? How do I put in my choice of DNS server?

Thanks in advance.

Don T (trap49@gmail.com)
    09-30-2014 02:42 AM
    It's always worth trying a cache partition wipe, which doesn't erase any personal data. Keep in mind that this process can take up to 10 minutes on a Nexus 5. http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...-recovery.html
    09-30-2014 02:52 AM
    I don't know about the battery problem, but the site you get, if there are multi-language sites (like msn) is determined by YOUR IP address, not the site's IP address (which is what DNS gives you). You should always get the local language site, unless you're close enough to a border that your IP could be on either side of it. Clearing the cache, both of the phone and of Chrome, might fix it. If not, if this is happening on mobile data, contact your provider. If it's happening on wifi, forget the connection and create it again.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-30-2014 09:45 AM
    Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate the step-by-step guide. I removed my IMAP email account and turned the phone off overnight while it charged. This morning, I turned it back on and it looked perfectly normal. I added my IMAP account back in, and verified that it could receive email. It's been on for over 3 hours now and it's still showing 90%, and the IMAP client is not using any of the battery at the moment. Yesterday it was pegged at 55%. I will keep the cache wipe procedure handy, though. Thanks again!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-30-2014 02:59 PM
    Thanks for the clarification about the DNS being based on my IP address, wherever I might be at the moment. Clearing the cache was the tip I needed. Thanks!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-30-2014 03:01 PM