I have not been able to find anything for the how to root the Samsung Note 8 (GT-N5110). I would rather have an iPad if I can't write to my SD card or copy files to it. Is anyone able to help me?
    10-02-2014 08:03 PM
    This is what worked for me. I use Heimdall (cross-platform, free) instead of Odin.

1. Download (from download dot chainfire dot eu slash 318 slash CF-Root slash CF-Auto-Root slash CF-Auto-Root-konawifi-konawifixx-gtn5110 dot zip)
    2. Extract the contents of the zip file. Then extract the contents of CF-Auto-Root-konawifi-konawifixx-gtn5110.tar.md5. You should get the files cache.img and recovery.img.
    3. On your tablet, enable developer options: go to Settings, System section, About device and tap on 'Build number' 7 times until it says you are now a developer. You can now go to Settings, System section, Developer options and enable USB debug.
    4. Unplug the USB cable.
    5. Shut down the device.
    6. Connect USB cable.
    7. Hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME DOWN' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 2 seconds until a WARNING! Screen
      appears. Press the 'VOLUME UP' button to enter Download Mode.
    8. Open a terminal, go to the directory containing the .img files and execute
      Code:
      heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --CACHE cache.img
      OR, If you're using GNU/Linux, you should use sudo to run as root:
      Code:
      sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --CACHE cache.img
    9. After reboot, your tablet should be rooted.
    10-20-2014 02:21 PM
    Just running Towel Root should be a lot easier. (Since it's an app that runs in the phone, you don't need a computer. And since it roots using a Linux hple, it can root most devices running 4.4.2.)

But you have to understand how Android 4.4.x works:

The SD card files, even though they're on a FAT32 partition, act as if they were on a Linux partition - only the owner and root can write to a location, unless "everyone" has write permission (which is not the default when you or an app create a folder.) Whether the phone is rooted or not, an app can't write to a folder it didn't create, unless the app is running under su. IOW, your non-rooted apps, the ones you're running now, can't write to the folders of other apps. (You can use My Files, go to the SD card, create a folder, copy files to it, etc. But the folder is owned by My Files, so no other app can write to it. If you run another app, it can't, even though it's still you running it.)

If you can't live with that, find a 4.3 ROM for that model tab and flash it.
    10-20-2014 03:30 PM