How to Fix Unfortunately Google Play Services Has Stopped Problem on my Nexus 7 (2012)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AC Question

How to Fix "Unfortunately Google Play Services Has Stopped Problem" - Nexus 7 (2012)

Hello,

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 (unrooted, running stock android). Until about a week ago everything was fine, but then errors started popping up. In particular I would be told that some app had stopped working and also receive other error messages saying that "unfortunately google play services has stopped"; this latter error began popping up more and more. After some googling I found that this was a somewhat common problem (or common enough to have multiple threads for different devices here and elsewhere online) and some potential means for resolving them. Unfortunately, nothing I tried succeeded in stopping this problem (i.e. rebooting the device; rebooting the device and clearing the cache via system recovery; clearing the cache and data from google play). I finally did a factory reset on the device. When it finished and I started the device up again and was prompted to sign into my account I was immediately hit with warnings that Google Drive, Email, and Gmail services had stopped. I sign in and I start getting the google service error again. Google Chrome also fails to work at all now (prior to the reset it would work, now it starts up and almost immediately shuts down; gmail also does not work, although google maps does).

I have also tried shutting off Google Sync on my account (since the reset) as another thread suggested that might be the problem, but shutting it off does not help ...although something does appear to be wrong with sync - when I go to my google account it says "sync error" under my account name and the message "sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly" is provided at the bottom of the screen. Clicking on the account I see all the services that are supposed to sync; currently they are all checked and everything appears to be synced, i.e. they all say 'last synced' with a period of a few minutes ago, with the sole exception of "people details" where there is an error symbol. Unchecking people details does not resolve the issue. that google sync may nevertheless be at issue is also suggested by a threat on justanswer that I found on this problem where someone with the same error posted about it someone suggests that it is likely a google server issue with the solution being to get google to shift the account to a new server. (this may be particularly relevant since I did recently move overseas, although this problem only emerged several weeks after that)...but I do not know how to check that or resolve such an issue if it were the problem.

I also an android based phone , but the problem has not really shown up there (although I did notice the same google service error the other day, it appears to have been an isolated issue).

Does anybody have any insight into how this issue can be resolved?

idiot-central

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I've had this on two phones now and it is maddening, I've tried all the advice and it sometimes stops it for a day or a week but it comes back at some point like a bad smell. Before somebody says "have you tried xyz" yes I have!!!

What I want to know is not how to fix it but why the issue raises a large annoying alert that you have to acknowledge effectively stopping you using the phone if you give a damn Google Play services has stopped or not. By all means send an alert - one, not unending, and better still supress multiple alarms and have a single item into notifications.

How can I get a message to Google to do something and get some acknowledgement that it will be fixed. It doesn't matter if a third party app or anything else is causing it, the alarming system sucks.

I'm on the verge of going Apple, I've had enough.

compufreek

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have a Kyocera Hydro Vibe that is getting the same error. I am running Android 4.4.2. I called Google support and I was told to increase the Micro SD card size and that should resolve its issues. I did just that, I went from a 4GB to a 32GB. But the error is still occuring. I moved all apps that I could to the Micro SD card and even uninstalled others but still having issue.

Screenshot_2015-11-27-12-11-15.png

dvzdad

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry, Jeyakeethan Geethan. One cannot simply uninstall Google Play Services since it is a built-in app. The options available going through application manager are to clear cache, manage space, and disable none of which actually work. I'm still looking for a solution myself and haven't found one yet. I'm on an LG tablet.

zebralover12

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I have tried resetting the phone and everything but its still poping up just about every 3 seconds and nothing is helping it. IT has gotten so bad it will not even let me on my Instagram. I am thinking apple is better

pacman40

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I had the same problem , i tried to use old backups and restored the phone but didn't help.
So I tried to disable location services and then problem gone.
I think the location services is working like a timer getting the current location every second or so and probably cause the popup saying "google pay..."
For me disabling location services fixed the problem.
Setting > Location > Off

This worked for me (Asus TF700T) and is reproducible. Switch off LOC and the nagging messages stop. Switch LOC back on and they restart. Switch off LOC and they stop. And so forth.

Thanks for this solution.

So now the question is how to use my tablet if these nagging messages come up every time the Location is switched on, i.e. the Location function has effectively been torpedoed. A partial (but unsatisfactory) solution is to change the Location mode. My device offers three location mode options:
- High accuracy (uses GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks to determine location)
- Battery saving (uses Wi-Fi and mobile networks to determine location)
- Device only (uses GPS to determine location)

If I set the Location mode to "Device only" (the only mode my device can use because it is not equipped to connect with a mobile network) and switch Location to ON I don't get the nagging "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" messages.

UPDATE: I'm one step further thanks to the posting of ZubairAnwarKhan (posting #73 in this thread). He wrote:

Tip 2: Reset app preferences:
For this re-open: Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Application Manager --> tab "All"
Now tap at the top right on "More" and then in the small menu on the "Reset app preferences". Finished!

When I did that I was able to change the Location mode back to High Accuracy without provoking the nagging "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" messages.

Last edited:

pacman40

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Tip 2: Reset app preferences:

For this re-open: Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Application Manager --> tab "All"
Now tapat the top right on "More" and then in the small menu on the "Reset app preferences". Finished!

Now restart your Android smartphone so that the changes take effect.

This helped solve my problem and stop the nagging messages (see my posting #114 on this thread).

Thanks very much indeed !

NJ Gaikwad

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Friends, I rooted my Moto E xt 1022 & the problem started. I tried different solutions suggested in the post, but could not fix. I also restored factory set up. Finally, I uninstalled update for 'Android system webview' & rebooted the phone. From then the phone is working smooth.

Chris H5

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
One reason why Play services may crash is missing app permissions. This is probably mostly present in custom roms. My ASOP had blocked all request by Play services by default, but you can fix these in the settings -> apps -> Play services -> permissions.

This was TOTALLY the issue. I've spent countless hours trying to find a fix and sure enough it was only enabled for location and crashed on everything else. Thank you thank you thank you!

JamesWheeler80

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I fixed this problem by going into > manage apps , select the app, (Maps in my case) and then select Uninstall updates. I also turned off auto update. This is the second phone, of this model, that I have used this method on. Kyocera

lux113

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
The 'google play store has stopped' error is pretty frustrating.

It used to come up about a year or so ago with the lollipop update, but tended to be easy to solve. I would just go to applications and clear the data for google play store - force stop it - go to google services and clear cache (though I don't think it was necessary) and it would work. If not, remove the google account and add it back

This time around it's more difficult - and none of the fixes seem to be surefire fixes.

reset app preferences... may help
wipe cache partition ---- possibly could help
turning off location services - may fix
or maybe it's that permissions aren't on

But nothing seems to be the magic bullet --

Oh and for those saying "I'm gonna go to Apple".. I do tech support on these phones, going to Apple isn't going to get you away from technical problems.

With the recent update (9.3) for Apple I've seen

- Wifi issues
- LTE not working (at all)
- Bluetooth issues
- App store not opening

In my personal and professional opinion - all devices are going to experience technical issues, but I've seen fewer on Android's and they are more likely to be solved.

- for the last 5 years I've seen iPhones that experience 'Greyed out wifi' (the chip just stops responding), 'Stuck in headphones mode' (no audio comes out of speaker because the phone insists there's headphones plugged in that aren't, 'People hear me on calls, I can't hear them', Camera stops working.......... etc. - all random hardware issues - and more.

I see relatively few of these from android, maybe a bad charging port -- and that is very likely from 'abuse'.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to Fix "Unfortunately Google Play Services Has Stopped Problem" - Nexus 7 (2012)

^ Welcome as a new member and thank you for sharing. :)

Something else that may help, I believe - and it may have been mentioned somewhere in the many posts in this thread - is to Clear Cache and Data for Download Manager as well as Google Play Store.

samii7

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: How to Fix "Unfortunately Google Play Services Has Stopped Problem" - Nexus 7 (2012)

I have the same issue when i installed the new update this pop up didn't go away saying "unfortunately google play services have stopped". I called the Google Services of the Unites States, they said to go to settings>apps>Google Services and press on force stop or you can uninstall the update. Im not sure if it will resolve the problem because since my phone is a little old it didn't have that option, he recommended me to uninstall because most of the people that have this problem updated the phone. Since i didn't have that option the man commanded to reset the whole phone which means everything will be erased, and when it resets he recommended me to use WiFi when the phone is on.

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
My nexus 4 just started giving me this error this evening. I can't think of anything that I've done differently from this AM when it worked fine. In any case, I tried clearing caches and force stopping several apps/services and rebooting multiple times and it continued. Then I stumbled across a Google post https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/play/Le5BU-u8V1I that walked me through the device administrators screen which I don't know that I'd ever seen before, and uninstalling updates to play services. So far, it seems to have worked. I was getting the pop ups like 4-5 in a row every 30 seconds or so and haven't since I followed that. (Hope it's ok to post the link, but I didn't want to try to paraphrase the steps because I don't totally understand what I did).

Status
Not open for further replies.