Application premission

blackberry86

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I am wondering for privacy reasons why some applications such as andriodcentral's have to get access to my media? And other apps

And what does that exactly mean?

Thanks in advance

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Permission categories can be fairly broad. I would bet that the Media permission is primarily to allow you to upload a photo to a post.

A comprehensive permissions guide that is current can be hard to find. Here's a recent AC article where Jerry Hildenbrand talks about a few: What some of those scary application permissions mean | Android Central

This is old, but fairly comprehensive: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
To know? Experience. To use an app without actually knowing? Trust. Most of the stuff on the Play Store or Amazon is safe. (I say most, not all, because I haven't checked out all the apps personally, so I can't be sure - not because I know that some of them aren't.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Is there a way though to know whether something is legit or not?

Posted via the Android Central App

Look through the reviews on the app's Google Play page. See if anyone complains about adware or possible malware. Check to see if the developer responds to reviews--that's usually a sign of a legit, responsive developer. You could also do a Google search for "Android [app name] malware," and see if there are a lot of hits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC