If I sign up with a google account can I change it later?

A

AC Question

Hi All,
You're going to be talking to a total NOOB, so please consider that in your responses. : )

Just bought my FIRST smartphone ever, Samsung Galaxy S5, and am in the process of needing to set things up.
Obviously I need to add a Google Account to be able to use many of the features and apps on the phone.

I'm just a little bit stuck on this, because I'm panicking a little about what/how to sign up for a Google Account.
I will need to create a new Google Account, and I'm not sure if A) I should create a totally new gmail email address and use that, or B) use my existing (non-gmail) email address, which is my primary personal email address. It's also the one connected to my primary facebook account.

If I went with option A) would I be able to change it (on my phone) to B) at a later date? Or am I stuck with the one choice?

I tried searching through forums already, but no question quite like mine came up.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You'll need a Google account to use the services, including the Play Store. I'd suggest making one now and remember that it can't be changed later. Meaning, if you start buying apps with the new Gmail account then everything will be tied to it. All purchases can't be transferred to another account.

Good luck... Let us know how it goes.

lexilocks

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi, OP here, signed up to reply.

First, thanks for the response.

Secondly; are you suggesting I start afresh with a brand new Google Account/gmail? As in, I create a new gmail address specifically for the purposes of this phone? And that will be the Google Account to use to purchase anything through the Play Store?

Thirdly, just to confirm, I can add additional Google Accounts later, if I should so wish? That is, I have a personal account, as well a 'hobbies&interests' based account/gmail, and a 'health&fitness' based gmail.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

lexilocks

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Okay,
I figured I was probably over thinking it, so I decided to create a new gmail account, that way I can start fresh and be selective with what apps I want to associate with my phone.
Thanks for the help srkmagnus! :cool:

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My recommendation: use the same userid from an existing email. For personal safety, you should not use your real name....I could Google that and find you, too easy. So if my userid is petals365@yahoo.com, I would try and use petals365@gmail.com, as it helps you remember in the future. Also, create one generic password for most of these accounts. I have one that is 9 characters, a capital letter, and 2 numbers. I use a separate password for my banking/credit accounts (same rules a the other passwords). Then I have my work password, which must be change routinely. My life is not complicated over passwords. Change all your logins everywhere. Ps. When I create profiles for games/utilities, such as Words with Friends or Dropbox, I use the Gmail account on my phone, as I don't give out my personal email to reduce spam.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance