How do I clear the drawing on the viewfinder?

A

AC Question

When I use the camera, there are a few lines and dots I inadvertently created with some kind of drawing app. Now, those marks are visible on the viewfinder and appear on all pictures I take now. I don't recall the app I was in...it was a total accident. I tried the feature in Gallery that allows one to draw on photos. When I use it, I am able to draw new marks and erase them but the original marks remain. I have tried some of the reset options that I can find, but nothing seems to remove the marks.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Try Settings, Apps, swipe to All, scroll to Gallery, and select Clear Cache.

It may also be useful to go to Settings, Storage, Cached Data, and clear the cache.

Posted via Android Central App

Krissig

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
That was so promising...but, alas, it did not work. I tried clearing cache on any of the apps that seemed like that had anything to do with Gallery or Camera as well. Is there any kind of viewfinder app that may have a cache?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Sorry that didn't work. It may be worth going into the Camera and Gallery apps as described above, selecting both Clear Cache and Clear Data, and also Force Stop, in that order...then Power Off the phone and Restart.
Please get back to us if that doesn't do it and we'll try to think of something else.

Krissig

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Before I do this, if I clear data will I lose my pictures in the gallery? Also, here is another potential clue...if I point my camera at something black, the line and dots appear blue. If I point at something white, they appear purple.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I neglected to welcome you when you joined as a member, so...Welcome!

Clearing Data does not delete photos. After you've done it, Power Off and Restart the phone, and the Gallery app, or indeed any app from which you've cleared data, will rebuild its database. At least, that is to the best of my knowledge.
Before we go any further, could you post a screenshot of these lines and dots? If they're visible on the screen when you're using the camera, they're nothing to do with Gallery.
I also don't know what you mean when you refer to the viewfinder....the screen serves as the viewfinder when using the camera, or is that what you mean?
Also, have you got an SD card in the phone? Duff ones can cause problems although I don't know whether that could be the cause of what you're experiencing.

Last edited:

Krissig

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Didn't work...darn. I do mean the screen when I say viewfinder. However, the marks only appear on the screen when I am in the camera app. They also show on any pictures I take now. How do I send a screen shot or example picture? Not to be dumb, but I don't see how to attach a file.

Krissig

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
OK, figured it out. This is a picture of black. These marks show on the screen when in the camera app. They also appear on every photo taken now.

Attachments

• phone screen marks.jpg
    phone screen marks.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 6

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Let's assume it's the Camera app that's relevant. Do the Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force Stop, Power Off phone and Restart as I referred to above. Nothing bad will happen, and it may just fix it.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying that the lines are an editing effect in the Gallery app? I have no such option myself, that I'm aware of. The nearest thing to it is the QuickMemo+ app of my LG G3, one of the options of which is that you can write or draw with a finger.
You are not by any chance using one of the Samsung Galaxy Note series, with their S-pens that allow you to draw on the screen?

Krissig

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, in my Gallery App, when I go into edit a photo, one of the tools is drawing. I can go into that and mark up the picture. There is an erase option and it will erase everything I drew but not the marks that occurred at the time I took the photo. Just found another clue - the marks do not show up on photos taken in the reverse mode. I have a Galaxy 4

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
One of the app permissions in Gallery is Draw Over Other Apps but despite reading about it I don't understand it and don't know whether it's relevant. In your position I would back up my photos and do the Clear Defaults, Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force Stop, followed by Power Off phone and Restart. I don't know whether that will get rid of the marks but I can't think of anything else.
Other S4 users may know exactly what you're talking about - I'm not familiar with the device myself - so you could try reposting in the Samsung Galaxy S4 forum, where someone may say, Oh yes, all you've got to do is...

Krissig

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
OK, final follow up on this. I took the phone into Verizon and we decided to do a factory reset. And it didn't work! The phone also started having other issues like very slow on certain functions. It was decided the phone software was irreparably broken. Luckily I was still under warranty and a new device was sent. I did notice before this particular issue appeared that my photos were often o0ut of focus. I blamed user error, but now that I have a working camera, I realize I was putting up with one that was seriously inadequate. So, it looks like something was slowly failing and I was like the frog in the boiling water. Didn't know it was time to jump out! I am back up and running now. No wonder we couldn't find a quick fix! Thanks for your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta