why does my Android continually ask if I want to install an app?

A

AC Question

My Galaxy S5 continually asks me if I want to install the cbs app. If I hit cancel the prompt screen dissapears but then appears again seconds or minutes later.

If I do hit install it installs the app and then continuslly asks if I want to update the app. Deleting the cbs app at this point takes me back to square one, i.e. more prompts to install again.

If I update the app I just get another update prompt seconds or minutes later.

Anyone have any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How does it prompt you? Is it a notification in the notification bar? Or a popup window? Is this CBS, as in the Columbia Broadcasting System, and is the app that's installed legitimately from CBS?

My guess is that some other app you installed has some kind of adware that prompts you to install the CBS app.

majordidge

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
It is a pop up window.
It is the Columbia Broadcasting System app.
I dont know if its the legit app or not but it appears OK.
I have a sneaking suspicion now that it has somthing to do with the hola app which has a dowload option for the CBS app but I have never used it to my knowledge.
I'll delete hola and reinstall it again but how can I ensure that doing so will not pick up any cached settings?
Thanks.

majordidge

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
its a pop up window.
It is the Columbia Broadcasting System app
It looks official.
I have a sneaking suspicion now that its related to the hola app I installed recently.
I'll try deleting it (hola) and reinstalling but how do I make sure it does not reuse any cached settings?
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try installing something like Lookout's Ad-Network Scanner & Detector. It probably won't work for popups, but it's still worth running, and you might find some other ad network to opt out of.

Otherwise, look through Settings>App>Downloaded, and see if anything there looks odd. If not, then you may have to uninstall apps one by one until the behavior goes away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney