Can I fix my Asus Memo Pad Hd7 after being drowned in water?

A

AC Question

I accidently put my Asus memo pad, which was rolled inside a blanket, into the washing machine. It went through the full cycle. The Asus is 1 month old so I am quite devastated. Upon finding what I had done, I put it in a bag of rice for 2 days. My husband then took the Asus apart, after following instruction from the Web. We let it completely dry in a humid free room for three days, but alas, after putting the Asus back together, it does not work.
Do you think I can get it fixed or am I grasping at straws?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

ellevsoft

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Ouch! I don't think devices will survive through a washing machine.

Give yourself little more time. One week. Sometimes when you blow air with your mouse (or "dust off" - air blower), you might notice water comes out from the space between chips and the board. Water doesn't get dry very soon (even 2~3 days).

Something you can try before giving up and throw out your device: Put it in the clean(purified) water again.
Detergent mixed water might conduct electricity even after it is dried up.

I once dropped my phone in the milk shake and phone was partially working (screen turned on but nothing else worked) even after a week. After cleaning inside with alcohol and slightly rewashing it worked again.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ouch! I don't think devices will survive through a washing machine.

Most devices won't. However my mother-in-law has sent her samsung through not only the washing machine (fully cycle) but also to the bottom of a hot tub. Both times she pulled the battery as soon as she could, pulled the battery, rinsed with purified/deionized water and put it in rice for 5 days. The phone is STILL working and that was over a year ago! Yeah, that's a rarity - but it is possible to save a device with a little patience. (I think it also says something about Samsung's built quality. They may feel cheap but they can take a beating)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Late to the party, but:

After 20 minutes of having water forced through every crevice in the device, with alkaline water (detergent), the odds of saving a phone, even if you could pull the battery, are slim. Dropping it into a hot tub isn't nearly as bad (although the chlorine doesn't help) because there's not that much agitation and/or dirt.

I usually recommend plain old rubbing alcohol, because a few bottles of it are cheap and you can get it almost anywhere, but deionized water (or triple-distilled water) is almost as good. About the only difference is that alcohol is hygroscopic, so 5 minutes in air after an alcohol bath is about the same as a week in silica gel or rice after a water bath. (And if the water isn't absolutely pure, just almost pure, it'll cause as much damage as tap water. (You can't always believe purity claims on labels unless the product is tightly controlled by law.) Alcohol isn't water (well ... 70% alcohol is about 30% water, but it's still hygroscopic), so even it it's only 69% alcohol it'll work.

But removing the battery in a tablet is the problem - you'd have to break the back of the case off pretty quickly to get to the battery plug, which is one reason I won't buy a phone that doesn't have a removable battery.

As far as Samsung's build quality, I'd put even a Nextel i530 against anything Samsung makes (and it's possible to damage an i530 if you know how). The candy bar version was impossible to damage. (I never owned a tracked vehicle - like a tank - so that could be a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.) But throwing it against a steel wall wouldn't damage it and dropping it into the ocean didn't cause any problem that a rag or tissue wouldn't cure. Water resistant? Don't go swimming with an S5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37