Why has my month old Note 3 suddenly started to charge so slowly?

A

AC Question

Month old Note 3 suddenly charging too slowly.

As of yesterday i plugged my phone in as soon as i got to work this was at 5-8%, and when i left it was at about 64%

I dropped my phone twice, maybe from 2 feet off the ground while it was still protected by my case. It has not landed on the battery port or any compromising parts. It was not a bad bad fall, just slipped out of my hand.

Before I charge, i turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, internet, and adjust monitor brightness setting to the lowest setting. While it charges, i turn off the monitor.

If there's any apps i use while charging, it would just be the Google music or the standard android music app.

I use the standard usb 3 cable that came with my phone and a usb socket adapter.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Month old Note 3 suddenly charging too slowly.

There may be an app or service running in the background, which could be causing the device to charge slow. Try performing a factory reset and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then try a new power outlet then charger and cable if it continues to charge slow.

Let us know how it goes.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Month old Note 3 suddenly charging too slowly.

As of yesterday i plugged my phone in as soon as i got to work this was at 5-8%
This will lead to early battery failure. I doubt it's failed for that reason after only 3 months, but if you use the phone every day, that's 90 charges, and you're getting close to a dead battery. (See the table at Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries.) Maximum battery life occurs if you charge at the 40%-60% point. If you need the battery to last longer than that, either buy a huge external battery or buy a couple of spare batteries (2 Ankers and a charger are about $25), then discharge to 40%, switch batteries, discharge to 40%, switch batteries. (That gives you 180% of the battery capacity without endangering the battery.)

I dropped my phone twice, maybe from 2 feet off the ground while it was still protected by my case. It has not landed on the battery port or any compromising parts. It was not a bad bad fall, just slipped out of my hand.
One cracked resistor can reduce the charging current to almost nothing. One cracked capacitor can cause a low-current short that can drain the battery faster. Either can occur with a soft drop of 2 feet. If the phone hits just right (or wrong, depending on your viewpoint), a 2 foot drop can cause 10G or more. It's decelerating from some slow speed to 0 - and if there's no give in where it hits, that's in almost 0 time. (The faster the deceleration the more the G force. Decelerating at any rate in close to 0 time [like one Planck time] would result in almost infinite G force - even if the initial speed, due to the length of the drop, was VERY slow.)

Before I charge, i turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, internet, and adjust monitor brightness setting to the lowest setting. While it charges, i turn off the monitor.
With wifi and power save on and the screen off (phone on, but mobile data, GPS and Bluetooth off), my phone charges from 40% to full in about an hour using the charger. (That's about 1.2 Amps. From the computer's USB port it only charges at about 460mA.)

If there's any apps i use while charging, it would just be the Google music or the standard android music app.
I've charged the phone with the screen on (the largest battery consumer) and a few apps running - it still charges from 40% in about 2 hours.

I suspect a bad battery or some component broken. Checking the battery is easiest - either use a new battery (or one borrowed from a friend, discharged to about 40%), or charge your battery in another Note 3.