Just downloaded Kitkat and I can not locate the text messages and missed calls notification icons, is there something more I have to do?

A

AC Question

Kitkat - text messages and missed calls - notification???

Ok so i'm an android newbie and was quite happily using gingerbread. But having updated my phone i now have kitkat. Seemed nice to start with. But having received a text where the hell is the notification??? I used to get an icon notification and little number next to the text icon at the bottom telling me if i had new texts and how many, or equally an icon telling me if i had missed calls. Now NOTHING with kitkat except a scrolling message across the top which vanishes and is only any use if i am actually there when the text arrives. So have i missed something or have they failed to include something so basic as telling me if ive missed calls or received texts without having to manually go to the section and scroll through every conversation until i notice an extra message??? Oh and i much preferred the colour bubble to distinguish conversations. Please help as i'm seriously about to throw the device away. thanks!!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Kitkat - text messages and missed calls - notification???

Evidently the launcher you used in Gingerbread had icon notifications. The default launcher (and most installable launchers) don't. Since the phone was designed for Gingerbread, you probably don't have a notification LED that would blink when you have a text to read.

You can change launchers (Go and Nova have add-ons to show you a count of phone calls and text messages missed. Others probably do too, although it's been a long time since I played with different launchers - I've been using Nova for a long time because I like it.)

There are also apps that will put a popup on your homescreen (or even your lockscreen) if you have a text or missed call or voice message. But be careful - a phone designed for Gingerbread doesn't have much storage space, so you can fill it up pretty quickly. It doesn't use storage space to pull the notification bar down when you get back to the phone to see if you have any texts, emails or voicemails.