Why are my text messages delaying at certain times of the day?

A

AC Question

Why do I not get text messages?

I have an HTC Vivid, and on occasion, I will not receive any texts for a long period of time... Only to come and find out an hour later that they were backed up somewhere. My phone then proceeds to play my "Received message" tone and literally has a seizure on the table with the vibrate function. Wifi is on half the time, 4G on the other half. This only seems to happen between 1500 and 1800... During that time, I have both on. I've tried turning them both off, restarting, sending messages... Nothing seems to go through, but an hour after when it finally "unclogs" I get tons of texts and responses and some asking why I stopped messaging them back.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why do I not get text messages?

1500-1800. Hmmm. 1500, school lets out. And you know that you just have to text the kid you said goodbye to 3 seconds ago. Enough texts from kids leaving school and the system can bog down for a couple of hours.

1800? People leaving work have finished their "text the wife as I'm leaving work" stuff, so the system starts working again.

(Watch the ping time the first day after winter break from school. The internet slows to a crawl. Same thing for Sunday evening in the winter. Extra heavy usage - of any medium - means longer delays. The information highway isn't the only highway that slows down during the rush hour.)