Recommendations to buy a phone

WasteSomeTime

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello I need help on what android phone to purchase. I am not looking to purchase a $600 phone as I am not on a contract and each phone usually lasts about 6 to 11 months.

I need at least the following features.

1] Unlocked

2] 8 mp camera

3] 4G ( LTE if possible but it's ok if there isn't one )

4] Android version higher than ginger

I would like the see the community's recommendations.

Thank you or your time

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
but there are also some common threads that keep popping up (e.g., SD card issues).
That was mainly an S3 problem, that Samsung eventually fixed. (SanDisk developed a work-around for their cards long before Samsung fixed the problem, so the newer SanDisk cards no longer suffer, even in non-updated S3s.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That was mainly an S3 problem, that Samsung eventually fixed. (SanDisk developed a work-around for their cards long before Samsung fixed the problem, so the newer SanDisk cards no longer suffer, even in non-updated S3s.)

Yes, I recall that--but SD issues still come up with some regularity in these forums, even with the S4 and S5, don't you think? I'm thinking primarily when people talk about their photos disappearing, or music files not playing properly, despite being copied over appropriately.

freddytireguy

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Just get a OnePlus One. It is by far the best value on the market and it is a terrific phone. Go to their site and register and follow the links to requesting an invite. The more posts you make the better your chance at an invite.

Last edited by a moderator:

nupicasso

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello I need help on what android phone to purchase. I am not looking to purchase a $600 phone as I am not on a contract and each phone usually lasts about 6 to 11 months.

I need at least the following features.

1] Unlocked

2] 8 mp camera

3] 4G ( LTE if possible but it's ok if there isn't one )

4] Android version higher than ginger

I would like the see the community's recommendations.

Thank you or your time
The Nexus 6 is gonna be a solid device. Android lollipop is beautiful and smooth. Best version of Android yet.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
but SD issues still come up with some regularity in these forums, even with the S4 and S5, don't you think? I'm thinking primarily when people talk about their photos disappearing, or music files not playing properly, despite being copied over appropriately.
I'd attribute that to the plethora of counterfeit/defective cards being sold and pilot error. I've never seen it happen on a SanDisk card on a phone I used. (I've seen it on my laptop, but I know what the error is there, and it's not the laptop design or the card - the laptop is dieing and also has an intermittent USB port [which I sometimes forget].)

The way SD cards are put together by secondary companies (read Mon & Pop at a 4 foot X 4 foot stand in an electronics market in China) reminds me of neurosurgery in 10,000 BC. That even one card works seems to be a minor miracle. Which is why I always spend the extra for SanDisk. Even my old (I think 256MB, but I have no idea where I last put it) card worked the last time I used it. And I'm currently transferring files from the laptop to this old desktop using a SanDisk 2GB card. (I know, I should set Filezilla Server up on the laptop and ... but I'm lazy.)

Maurax

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The Asus zenphones are pretty cheap with decent specs. Might be a good phone if you're only going to use it for 6-11 months. The 5 inch version has all of the features you wanted

bornweird

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Just got Moto E (2nd Gen) from Verizon. It's prepaid and sadly only has a 5 mp rear camera and vga front camera. But I do get 4G LTE. It comes out of the box with newest Android: 5.0.2 Lollipop and is recently updated to 5.1. It's a really good phone for only about $70. I love it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34