How do I stop apps from downloading a bunch of images?

A

AC Question

How do I stop apps from downloading a bunch of images??

I downloaded two games and had to uninstall them because I can't figure out how to stop them from doing this.
I'd go into my gallery and find that there are albums suddenly made from before I even owned the phone containing a huge amount of images and thumbnails that are actually used for the app.
I don't want them?? Why would anyone want that??? If the app needs them and they're included in the app download and file size is there any way I can hide them without having to manually hide every single album? (usually one picture per album so that will take forever).
It was only these two games though and no other regular apps have done this.
I tried searching for similar questions but the only thread I could find was about the 9gag app doing this and was solved by the creator messaging 9gag devs about it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I stop apps from downloading a bunch of images??

Welcome to Android Central! Apps may create their own folders to contain images that are needed for the app's function, or perhaps for banner ads or avatar images (like if you're playing an online poker match with other people). Unfortunately, since the system's Media Scanner will search all folders for new media, these images will then appear in the Gallery as well. You can prevent this by adding a blank file titled ".nomedia" in that folder of unwanted images--this instructs the Media Scanner to ignore that folder when looking for media. You can use most file manager apps (like ES File Explorer) to create a .nomedia file.

After doing so, you might have to go to Settings>Apps>All​, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. When you reopen Gallery, it will rebuild the image database, this time without that folder.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I stop apps from downloading a bunch of images??

If the app creates folders inside folders, put the .nomedia file in the outermost folder - Media Scanner won't search folders in that folder either. You don't have to put a file in each folder.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams