Sometime when I receive .pdf files as attachments on emails, my phone mistakenly thinks that they are .txt files. It will take the file name 12345.pdf and show it as 12345.pdf.txt. When I download the file and try to rename it, the .txt does not even show up so I can delete it.

What would cause my phone to see PDF files as TXT files? And how can I keep it from doing that? Once my phone thinks it is a .txt file, it won't open it because it thinks the file is too large.
    10-16-2014 08:12 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Have you tried using another app to open the PDF? On Play, there is an app called Kingsoft Office. There is a free version, and it can read most, if not all, format types, including most MS ones. Try opening it with that.
    Rukbat likes this.
    10-16-2014 09:00 AM
    Sometime when I receive .pdf files as attachments on emails, my phone mistakenly thinks that they are .txt files. It will take the file name 12345.pdf and show it as 12345.pdf.txt. When I download the file and try to rename it, the .txt does not even show up so I can delete it.
    If you're downloading it to a PC, and the PC is set to hide common extensions (the default - you have to change it if you want to see all extensions), then the real filename is 12345.pdf,txt. The .txt part isn't being shown, but the .pdf part is part of the name, it's not the extension.

What would cause my phone to see PDF files as TXT files?
    I don't think it's your phone, I think it's the person or program creating the file that's causing the problem. (Save anything from Notepad and it gets .txt as the extension unless you quote the entire filename.ext [like "12345.pdf"] or you choose "all files". (Of course a pdf file should never come near a program that would save files as txt files, unless the person doing it knows what he's doing and wants to read the raw pdf file [they're not human-readable] and knows what he's looking for. In almost 40 years of reading raw files on disk, I've never had occasion to read a raw pdf file, except when they first came out, just to see what they looked like. Once I saw, I mentally marked pdf as "file type not usable in raw form" - IOW, there's no reason to open a pdf file in anything other than a program that can read pdf files. I can manipulate databases on the disk [not using a database program] but not a pdf file.)

I'd need a link to the file (where you're getting it, not once you've gotten it - your downloading could be changing the extension. One version of Firefox, when used with a certain download program, used to mess up filenames) to be certain what's happening.

And how can I keep it from doing that?
    If it's being created that way, you can't. (But if I'm right about the file being created as a txt file, tell the people sending you or posting the files.)

Once my phone thinks it is a .txt file, it won't open it because it thinks the file is too large.
    As Golfdriver said, instead of opening the pdf file by pressing the pdf file name, open an app that can read pdf files, then open that file.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    10-16-2014 02:33 PM