New iPad Air 2 and unlocked Nexus 5 - what SIM do I use?

Strategerizer

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
New iPad Air 2 and unlocked Nexus 5 - what SIM to use?

I have a Nexus 5 unlocked phone on T-mobile. The newly announced iPad Air 2 comes with a SIM that would work with most carriers. How to plan my SIM strategy to get most flexibility, like having only one plan and use either device?

It probably makes sense to have my T-mobile plan tied to the multifunctional SIM that comes with the iPad. This will allow me to switch carriers easily if needed. I assume I can transfer my current plan and phone number to the new SIM that comes with the tablet, right? Then I would put that SIM into my Nexus 5 unlocked phone. Likely I will need an adapter as the iPad likely uses nano and phone use micro SIM size.

When I need wireless access on my tablet (e.g. if phone battery dies or want to have Internet aces on advice with a bigger screen) I would just take the SIM out of the phone and put it in the tablet. Maybe I'll even be able to use the iPad as a phone during that time...

Is this possible and does it sound like a good strategy?

Thanks for any practical insight or feedback!

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Could you not get a tariff or plan for your N5 that allows you to use tethering? E.g. on the Three UK network, for £15 a month I could have 200min, unlimited texts, unlimited data, and use 4GB of data in a tethered device (I'm thinking of doing that). Does not your carrier offer something similar?

Also I'd be slightly worried that repeatedly swapping the SIM between the two devices might lead to SIM problems....although I don't know how likely this would be.

Posted via Android Central App

Strategerizer

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: New iPad Air 2 and unlocked Nexus 5 - what SIM to use?

Ah, you are right... and being that Nexus 5 is unlocked I have not problem tethering. That solves the problem of data access on the iPad. Still, swapping the SIM would take care of things if my phone battery dies and using the iPad as a backup device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel