Signal questions G3

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a techie type so I want to see if I can get some feedback. My dB readings using open signal maps are 10 dbs lower than what the stock settings read. Phone says 109 dbs, open signal maps says 97 dbs. Which one should I trusted the true reading? Also, when a phone reverts between 3g and 4g, what triggers the switch? (are the signal bars for show?) is there a dbs number the phone reaches that makes it switch to 3g. Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a techie type so I want to see if I can get some feedback. My dB readings using open signal maps are 10 dbs lower than what the stock settings read. Phone says 109 dbs, open signal maps says 97 dbs.
Which one is reading what? There are probably 3 signals the phone is looking at.

Also, when a phone reverts between 3g and 4g, what triggers the switch?
That's up to the manufacturer. Either the existing signal is completely gone or it's below a certain level (or quality for CDMA) or the manufacturer picked a number out of a hat.

(are the signal bars for show?)
Pretty much. They're calibrated on the basis of no bars = no signal or a weak signal (which could still be usable) and all bars is maximum signal you'd get standing in front of a cell antenna or just a strong signal. So it's like watching a feather drift by and calculating the humidity from that.

is there a dbs number the phone reaches that makes it switch to 3g.
Depends on the manufacturer. Then, if that phone switches at a certain level, it depends on the individual phone. They don't spend an hour calibrating each handset - it works the way it came off the line.

Thoughts? If the phone works, stop obsessing over it. If it doesn't, bring it back. Telling the tech at the store that your phone doesn't switch to 3G until the 4G signal drops to -120db is about as useful to him as telling him what you had for lunch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie