Can I recover contacts with dead screen with my phone not connecting to Kies?

Kyle Patton

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
attempting to recover contacts with dead screen, not connecting to kies

The screen on my samsung gt i5510m has recently gone dead, and fool I was I hadn't saved my contacts to my sd card. I had heard I could use kies to recover the information, but while it recognizes a device is connected, it never moves past the "connecting step".

Is there a way I can connect to kies without using my phone's screen? and if not, what methods would you suggest for a recovery?

Kyle Patton

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: attempting to recover contacts with dead screen, not connecting to kies

Nope. like I said, I foolishly didn't back up my contacts anywhere.

EDIT: I should also mention that de-bugging mode is off right now. since the screen is black, I can't turn it on either.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

So that rules out ADB...I am not sure what else to suggest.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Nope. like I said, I foolishly didn't back up my contacts anywhere.
Did you enter them as Device contacts or Google contacts? If they're Google contacts, they back up to Google Contacts by default.

If not, about the only options are to plug in a working screen temporarily, replace the screen or go to Google Contacts and start entering your contacts. Once you have a working phone with the same Google account, it''ll sync the phone list from the cloud.

Kyle Patton

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

they were saved to phone. I've already tried recovering them through google. By temporary screen, do you mean I could hook it up to my monitor in some way? it still receives touch input, so I could upload to google that way.

Also, I'm assuming that kies wont help me? I only brought it up due to seeing it in a thread for people with a similar problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

By temporary screen, do you mean I could hook it up to my monitor in some way?
No, I mean a Galaxy Callisto screen that's not mounted to the phone, but plugged into the jack that you remove the phone's screen plug from.

it still receives touch input, so I could upload to google that way.
You can't upload Phone contacts to Google. Google contacts sync to Google (which is why all contacts should be entered as Google contacts).

Also, I'm assuming that kies wont help me?
Not unless you know exactly where to press on the screen to allow Kies to connect. If you have another Callisto phone, you can connect it to Kies and try to figure out exactly where on the dead screen that would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae