"Okay Google" on Note 4

ProtoformX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I was delighted to see that using "Okay Google" with the screen off was included as a feature this time around. And it worked flawlessly the first couple days.

Now however, it is VERY finicky, and works maybe less than half the time. And the times it does work from an off screen, I hear it open but the screen does not light up, or the screen lights up but does not stay on long enough to use the app hands free.

What gives? Is there a setting I'm missing? Or is Samsung just trying to cripple it to force people to use S-voice? (I was already mad that the built in driving mode doesn't let you use Google Now or Google maps/navigate and instead makes you use the crappy Samsung versions)

Posted via the Android Central App

pvthomas

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my phone(It would not recognize "Ok Google" very well while the screen was on).
I fixed it by doing the following (some of the options may already be checked)

Go into Google Now and scroll to the bottom of the page. Tap on the three dots in the lower right hand corner. Then go to:
Google now Settings>voice
Then turn on the audio history setting.
after that, go to "Ok Google" Detection>Check the boxes that you want ("from google search app"; "From any Screen";"From Lock Screen"; etc)
Then click on the retrain voice model setting.
It will prompt you to say the words "Ok Google" 3 times.
This helps the recognition to become more accurate.

I hope this helps!