How can I disable popup messages that I get on my phone when I use the navigation?

techman41973

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Message popup on Google Navigation ("improve accuracy with WIFI")

I have a Galaxy S4 running Android Kitkat. For the past 2 months, every time I start a navigation to an address, I get a popup that says
"you can improve accuracy of your location by turning on WIFI"
I prefer to keep WIFI off.
Is there any way to disable these popup messages every time I navigate to an address?
Is anyone else experiencing the same constant popups?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Message popup on Google Navigation ("improve accuracy with WIFI")

1) The wifi takes very little battery.

2) Go to Settings/Connections/Location/Mode and change the mode to GPS only (which uses more battery than Power saving mode, which uses wifi and mobile networks to determine your location and isn't as accurate). You get accuracy or battery savings, you can't get both.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Is that the exact message you get? It's odd that it would ask you to turn on wi-fi while navigating, since wi-fi usually isn't available in your car. Is it asking you to turn on wi-fi as well as mobile data, since that's how the Battery Saving mode of Location Service works?

Popup messages like that will either continue appearing (to make sure you know to get the most accurate position), or they will stop on their own after a while (like how the "Say Ok Google" message in the Google Now search bar disappears after a little while). I don't think you can change it yourself.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Is that the exact message you get? It's odd that it would ask you to turn on wi-fi while navigating, since wi-fi usually isn't available in your car. Is it asking you to turn on wi-fi as well as mobile data, since that's how the Battery Saving mode of Location Service works?

Popup messages like that will either continue appearing (to make sure you know to get the most accurate position), or they will stop on their own after a while (like how the "Say Ok Google" message in the Google Now search bar disappears after a little while). I don't think you can change it yourself.

I actually get that message all the time in google now as well. I prefer to use LTE sometimes so I keep my WiFi off. I've been getting that message for three months now which is as long as I've owned my nexus 5.

Posted via the Android Central App

ExNihilo01

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

I get that same message all the time on my Sprint LGG2. I've always wondered why navigation would have any use for Wi-Fi if I'm in a fast moving vehicle. It's quite annoying, but I've never looked into it, so I really hope you get an answer. Could the phone perhaps be trying to search for local Wi-Fi signals to triangulate on an exact location?

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech