Is there a root for the LG Tribute yet?

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: is there a root for the LG tribute yet?

Try using the app Stump Root

Posted From my LG G3 Cat. 6

That didn't work, as the kernel is too new to be supported under Stump currently. I've also tried loads of other one click/exploit solutions, and none of them work. Maybe some kind of manual intervention via adb is needed... I've noticed that the apps that allow an adb window to be viewed during the root process don't show the phone to be fully attached to the PC. LG seems to have locked this one down hard.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

That didn't work, as the kernel is too new to be supported under Stump currently. I've also tried loads of other one click/exploit solutions, and none of them work. Maybe some kind of manual intervention via adb is needed... I've noticed that the apps that allow an adb window to be viewed during the root process don't show the phone to be fully attached to the PC. LG seems to have locked this one down hard.
What other exploits have you tried?

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Name any one click or exploit out there right now. Take my word for it, THERE ARE NONE THAT WORK. I've gone through at least fifteen different solutions. That's a lot of time spent... Can't be bothered to do more as I'm studying for architecture finals! I don't know anyone that's really doing anything about rooting the tribute. Maybe the stump devs at xda developers... they've gotten enough requests for the tribute.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Maybe some kind of manual intervention via adb is needed.
Find one and someone will write a shell script to do it. If it can be done manually it can be done by script. If you're comfortable in an adb shell, try to crash Linux so it comes back as root. Then push su to /system and the phone is rooted. The rest is scutwork.

The difficult part is finding an exploit that works, not making it work by using an app.

.. I've noticed that the apps that allow an adb window to be viewed during the root process don't show the phone to be fully attached to the PC. LG seems to have locked this one down hard.
Probably not as tightly as the AT&T and Verizon Note 3s, though. Totally locked bootloader, so even though they can be rooted (up to 4.4.2, at least, and I'm not updating past that), the only ROMs you can flash are modifications of the stock ROM. And if you goof once there's a "write once" bit that gets set, and shows in the recovery screen, so the warranty is gone.

HTC has the right idea - root it, flash a ROM to it, and if the power switch breaks it's still covered. (If you damage it by rooting or flashing, you're on your own, which I think is fair, but if one of the radios goes bad and the phone is rooted, it's still covered.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Remember one thing about rooting - it takes an expert analyst going over hundreds of thousands of lines of code to find an exploit to use for rooting. That means that someone who could be earning a quarter of a million dollars a year has to give up months of paid work to do something that would cause a stone to commit suicide from boredom - and for nothing but recognition. And yet people do it.

But don't expect someone to drop everything to study a new update to every phone and find an exploit in a few weeks. Some versions of Android on some phones will never be rooted. Reality has a way of intruding on what people would rather be doing - reality like paying the mortgage, buying food, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678