How do I make it so that anything I want to store on my phone goes into the SD card?

MonkeySwings

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Mad and confused about external micro sd card

Before I started using androids, I would put a sd card in my phone and it'll automatically store files there when my internal space is full. I could also move files to the external whenever I want to, so I can organize.

Now I have the S5 and Tab S, I can't even put anything/move files in the sd card, I can't make a file in it. Then wtf is my sd good for? My phone is almost full and I can't even use the sd card. It's like it's two separate this that aren't in sync.

I was trying to put a movie in the video file app that the app comes with and I couldn't because of no space. Wth, I would assume my sd card will come and show me to store in the video app. Now I have to watch the movie by going into the My files app then to movies folder to play.. This doesn't make sense!

MonkeySwings

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Mad and confused about external micro sd card

Before I used androids, i had a phone that has a sd card in it. I could freely move file into it because I'm running out of space or just to put files there cus it's big. The sd card would also automatically put files into the external sd when internal space is full. That made everything so much easier how I don't have to manually put every single file into the external.

Now I have a S5 and Tab S, both samsung, and I put a sd card in. I was shocked and got angry when I couldnt put any files like pictures or videos in! I can't even make a folder in the sd card! My tab is running out of space so I tried putting one of my movies in the Videos app that comes with the device and it says not enough storage space. I was like wth, what is my sd card doing?? My old phone would just automatically put that video in the sd card plus I csun move it into any folder. Now it's like the sd isn't even in sync or a part of my phone /tab. So I can't put videos in a default video app to view videos because it only shows files from internal storage?? So now if I find a way to put the movie in the external, I'd have to use another app or video storage on my home screen?

Ugh I'm so confused why.. These devices are so advanced and I thought is way better than apple. But it's also so restricting! Most likely I can put the did card in the computer and put files in that way but wth its not even acting line part of my phone /tab, and is such a hassle..

Neurion

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Mad and confused about external micro sd card

But why can't I move my pictures or videos in to the sd card? I have the option to, but it always says it failed. I cant even make a folder in the sd card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! What file manager are you using to try to move the files? If you don't have a stock file manager, then try some of the 3rd party file managers out there like ES File Explorer, Astro File Manager, or Total Commander. Some of them might have better functionality with external SD cards then others.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Can you put that same SD card into a USB reader and see if the card can be viewed on your computer? If it does not read, you may have a corrupted SD card.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The file manager app that created the folder can move files to it. Another file manager app can't. An app can only write to folders it cvreates - on the phone or, now with KitKat, on the SD card. (The root of the SD card - what you would consider the card itself, no folder - is accessible to any app, so any app can move files there or create folders there.)

If that's not how your phone is working, make sure you formatted the card in the phone, not on a PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol