What does the 2 arrows symbol mean?

A

AC Question

What does the 2 arrows symbol (horizontal, top arrow points left, bottom arrow points right) beside the WIFI/4G symbol mean?
It only disappears when i on flight mode and have no signal.
And when flight mode is on, my S5 screen keeps lighting up once every few minutes.
Anyone knows the reason??
Anyway to solve this problem??

2015AndroidUser

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi B Diddy, this is nothing to do with VOLTE or the carrier. The horizontal arrows are suddenly appearing on phones in different parts of the world with no explanation from Android or Samsung. They aren't listed in dictionaries of symbols. As a 'senior ambassador' can you do any more investigation? I have found texting keeps failing since this symbol appeared.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi B Diddy, this is nothing to do with VOLTE or the carrier. The horizontal arrows are suddenly appearing on phones in different parts of the world with no explanation from Android or Samsung. They aren't listed in dictionaries of symbols. As a 'senior ambassador' can you do any more investigation? I have found texting keeps failing since this symbol appeared.

That's strange. They're appearing on 3 UK devices since that network started offering VoLTE recently. I'd have assumed that that is indeed what they mean. If not, what's going on?
B. Diddy will probably see this but I'll let him know anyway :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello 2015AndroidUser, welcome to the forums! You're right, there are several reports in these forums about that same icon. My first guess has been always VoLTE as well (it seems that it's got a different name in the UK). It could be very helpful if you post a screenshot with that icon.

From your words it seems related to mobile data in some way. Could you do me a favour? Change in your mobile settings the preferred network to 3G instead of 4G. After that check if the same icon still appears in the status bar. We'll try to find out what that icon really means.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Hmm, it always irks me when there's a system icon that the manufacturer or the carrier don't bother informing the user about.:-\

I wonder if the parts of the world where this is appearing are getting ready for VoLTE. That kind of icon started appearing on phones in the US prior to official launches of VoLTE on the major carriers. Can you show us a screenshot, so we can see the exact icon you're seeing? http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Please address other users, especially the badged volunteers with respect.

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
To the last two posters: Welcome to Android Central. :)

Have you contacted your respective network providers over this? It would be interesting to find out whether they can shed any light on it.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Iv had this symbol since my last update .now I'm having trouble with texts .and draining battery .

Welcome to Android Central. :)

A Cache Partition wipe may be beneficial.
Also, do your battery usage stats indicate anything out of the ordinary? And if you touch the battery graph to open it, do the indications of signal strength and number of awakes seem normal?

amycrascall

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I have had this problem, I called three as i was panicking from other replies regarding battery etc. And its nothing to worry about. It is to do with how the view is set up for notications. Go to Settings....Notification Panal......Reset (next to active) and then resart your phone. Bye Bye arrows and phone is fine.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have had this problem, I called three as i was panicking from other replies regarding battery etc. And its nothing to worry about. It is to do with how the view is set up for notications. Go to Settings....Notification Panal......Reset (next to active) and then resart your phone. Bye Bye arrows and phone is fine.

Thank you for getting back to us over this....feedback is what we were hoping for and now we have some from a new member. :)
Welcome to Android Central!☺