Can disabling Amazon crapware cause problems with a phone?

A

AC Question

I just bought a Droid Turbo to replace my old Razr Maxx HD (a great phone). I was shocked to find that not only was there crapware installed on the phone, but the Amazon crapware was occupying the entire second page on the phone. If you haven't seen it, the first page off the home screen is entirely occupied by a big screen from Amazon with a button that demands that you "Start Here". Start Here means to log in to Amazon, after which the big screen gets replaced by a bunch of Amazon app icons. I couldn't find any way to move the crap so I could put what I wanted on that page, which kind of pissed me off - who is Amazon to help themselves to the second most important piece of real estate on my phone? Eventually I found that you could go to Settings > Apps and disable the Amazon crapware. So far so good, but when I disabled it I got a warning that this might cause other things to malfunction. This concerns me because when I unplugged the phone from the charger this morning I couldn't unlock it - swiping down to the lock icon didn't give the unlock pattern screen, it just showed a mostly black page with the unlock icon on the bottom half, a couple of dots in the middle, and not much else. Eventually I got it to reboot by holding down the power button (at least I think that's what did it) but I'm worried that disabling the Amazon crapware really is causing problems with the phone. Is that possible? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Verizon is ... not good, when it comes to bloatware. But disabling all of that Amazon stuff really shouldn't impact the phone's performance. The warning message is standard.

Do you think you could show us a picture of that odd lockscreen you got? It almost sounds like you opened the camera app from the lockscreen. Here's how to post a screenshot: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781