How to activate Google Location History remotely?

A

AC Question

Hi guys,

Let's think about the following situation. I'm leaving both of my location options (Google Maps Location History and Google Play Device Locator) deactivated on my Android.

Then I my phone got lost or stolen and I want to find out where it is. Is there any way to activate those options from my Google account on my PC?

I'm trying to find that out specially for Google Location History. Any tips?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As far as I can tell from the support page, the only requirement is that the device be connected to the web and that Location Access is turned on (i.e., Settings>Location, and turn the switch on). Location History and Location Reporting don't matter for this feature, so if they're turned off, they won't affect Android Device Manager's ability to locate your lost device.

Therefore, I would suggest you keep Location Access on, but keep Location History and Location Reporting off.

Catimba

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a guest anymore! ;)

Thank you for the answer!!! Could you please be more clear?

Actually, this is what I did: Google Maps App > Settings > Location > Unchecked the box "location access" (or similar name). After doing that:
- Google Device Manager says that the device is online but I can't get its location.
- Google Maps Location History stops tracking my location.

The thing is... If someone steal my phone and disable those options, how am I going to be able to track its location?

I would like to know if there is any alternative way to turn it on again and to see the location of the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
According to the support page I linked above:

"For devices running 4.1 and higher: Location access must also be turned on. To turn it on, go to Google Settings > Location and turn the switch next to “Location” to On. When the dialog box appears, read the text and touch Agree to turn on location access."

So yes, Location Access must be on. You are correct, if a thief turned Location Access off, it would be difficult to track. But in order to turn it off, the thief would have to be able to access your settings. If your phone is protected by a screen lock, he wouldn't be able to do this easily, so make sure you use a screen lock method.

Device Manager can also be foiled if the thief turned off the data connection, but again, this would be difficult if the phone had an effective screen lock. A factory reset would also make Device Manager useless.