Why do I get mysterious pictures when transferring S3 photos to laptop via a cable?

A

AC Question

I use a cable to transfer photos from my Galaxy S3 to my laptop, & view with Windows Explorer (I hate Samsung Keis). The list of jpg photos on the phone looks fine. However, whether the laptop is connected to the internet or not, when accessing the phone file list & I click from eg photo 1 to photo 2, a strange photo appears. This continues to happen with many photos I haven't taken. To access my next valid photo, I have to exit photo 1, return to the file list, & click on photo 2. And so on.
The mystery photos have some connection with websites I've previously accessed, eg if I've been looking at websites about clothes, cameras, gardening, photos related to these topics seem to be on my mobile phone.
1. What are these photos?
2. Where are they on the phone?
3. I don't want them. Can I delete them from the phone?
4. How can I prevent this phenomenon? I had no problems with Galaxy Ace.
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How did you transfer the photos to the phone--did you use the Import Photos function of Windows Explorer? I don't recommend that, because it imports all images, including cached images that the phone browser stores temporarily, and images that apps generate. That can be a lot of extra junk that you don't want. I think the best way to transfer photos is to use Windows Explorer to select photos on the phone manually, then drag and drop to the computer's hard drive (using the Copy function, not Move--the latter deletes the original on the phone, which can be a problem if the file transfer isn't successful).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you're using Windows Exploer, are you viewing the list of photos that are stored on the phone, or photos that you've already moved to the computer?

ACQuestion

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm viewing the Windows Explorer list on the phone. The photos which I have copied & pasted to the hard drive seem fine, with no extras visible. It's only when I view them on the phone list that I see these 'phantom' photos, even before I copy & paste. NB the phone isn't connected to the internet at all, but the phone phantoms are mostly definitely to do with my having accessed websites (including Facebook) on the laptop, so they must be laptop related. I can't find the phantoms on the phone in the camera app; I only see them when cable-linked to the laptop.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you using Windows Explorer to go into each folder individually, then look at photos, or are you using a picture viewer program to look at a picture, then looking at the next one, etc? (That second way might be showing you the pictures listed in the phone's database, and not in a particular folder on the phone.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams