Please Help! Note 4--Download Booster or Not

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I've seen mixed reviews on whether you should use Du Booster, Clean Master etc. I had Galaxy S3 and didn't use either but did use included task manager to close all apps and free up space. But really don't know if all this is needed and or should I just leave it all alone and just enjoy my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it's not a matter of whether you need an app like that, it's a matter of whether you need to never run an app like that. "Cleaning RAM" in Android slows the phone down and increases battery use. Multitasking the Android Way was written by one of the engineers who wrote Android, do she should know what she's talking about.

Download boosting is something else entirely - that's using both your mobile data and your wifi to download a file. It's something like a 2-peer torrent, and it does decrease the time it takes to download files from most servers (they have to accept the RESUME command). There are a few apps that will add that to some phones - I don't know whether the S3 is one of them.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was android savvy but apparently I'm not. I read the link you posted and it all is over my head. I had an S3 and used the manager and closed all apps and free up memory all the time. Now with the Note 4 and using the DU Booster, are you saying I don't need to do any of that? I'm not a gamer so I just play small games and not using for business.

Mom of Future Marine (2015) OORAH! Note 4 from Galaxy S3

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought I was android savvy but apparently I'm not. I read the link you posted and it all is over my head. I had an S3 and used the manager and closed all apps and free up memory all the time. Now with the Note 4 and using the DU Booster, are you saying I don't need to do any of that?
She's saying that you shouldn't have been doing that since Eclair. (I've been a programmer long enough to know to not try to second-guess the person who wrote the code - they know it better than I do.)

I'm not a gamer so I just play small games and not using for business.
It still wastes battery and slows the phone down.

Mom of Future Marine (2015)
Remains of a past sailor (1960).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Before uninstalling any app, force stop it. Then clear cache and clear data. Then uninstall it.

Having lots of junk in storage doesn't slow the phone down, it just wastes space. There are apps that clear out "orphan" files - but sometimes, the files aren't actually associated with an app, so they get cleaned out, then the app doesn't work any more.

Clean the system cache once in a while (Settings/General/Storage. Look at the Cache line once it stops calculating. If there's more than 100MB in there, press it and clear it.)

Also see Low on Space? Dump logcat You don't need the logcat file unless you're debugging something (and it can get huge).