Why is Lollipop so ugly?

Andrewcf2921

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
why is lollipop so ugly?

Why did android make lollipop so ugly? It looks like a two year old made a 1985 Nintendo game and then finger painted on the screen to hide the embarrassment that is lollipop. Absolutely hideous and frankly a carbon copy of iOS. I have android because I hate iOS. I will never downgrade to lollipop nor will I buy another android phone till this obsession with flat animé graphics stops assaulting my eyes. Disgusting choices.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: why is lollipop so ugly?

I still don't have Lollipop on a Note 3 or Moto G 2013.
Playing around with other devices though, and while I don't like it, it's kinda superficial in that once you start to use an app or find the setting you want, it goes away. Like I say I don't use one yet.

And now for the good news:
3rd party dark themes are emerging according to recent S6 threads. Hopefully Google will give that option in time, if only to sell the next generation of devices.

On Edit:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=542344

dislikeschange

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

To the people saying this is all cosmetic and doesn't effect how the phone is used: You are simply wrong.

I use my phone mostly at night time. Everything is bright white. The alarm screen is bright white. The settings screen is bright white. The messages screen is bright white.

From a design standpoint, this is a failure. Why is the last screen I look at for the day (setting my alarm) white? This keeps me awake. Lowest brightness dark was MUCH darker than lowest brightness white.

I work at a graphic design house. I'm disgusted with my phone now. I've been a fan of samsung since before they made phones, but right now I'm so pissed that they pulled this bait and switch and have done nothing to rectify it for months, I don't know what I'll do next. I'm losing faith in samsung.

I purchased a phone with a dark screen. Without my consent, they changed my phone to all white interface. This is a bait and switch and I'm very disappointed.

bradzz27

May 22, 2015
Visit site

Im done with this lollipop os. It messes up my s5 so bad that sometimes i want to throw my phone away. Im going to install a costum rom. Or wait for the android m.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I now have my first Lollipop (5.1) on my Moto G and it is pretty harmless on this device.
I suspect it has more of a negative impact on heavily skinned devices such as Samsung's.

On Edit: I also suspect I'm not saying anything new here :)

Last edited:

Sam K1955

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

Moto X 1st gen here. I absolutely loathe the WHITE MENUS. And even more than that, I loathe the lack of a dark theme option. Totally unacceptable. Heck...even MS, the KING of taking away user options, gave the CLASSIC option after radically altering their themes. (At least I was able to find a built-in Holo White (dark themed) keyboard that was similar to KitKat's keyboard. That helped a bit. I couldn't stand the new Lollipop keyboard.)

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

I don't like the bright-white backgrounds either, it hurts my eyes. I bet it also uses more power to light-up the screen.

Is there an OS-wide GUI setting to make lollipop look like kitkat?

jakeuten

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

I don't get what you all are talking about. The Lollipop update gave Android a much more streamlined look, and apps took it seriously, implementing the design changes. Lollipop makes Android look much more mature. It seems as if Android Marshmallow might have a dark setting, but I won't be using it on my Nexus 5.

s kid mark

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site

I agree !!! I generally don't react as such but, when I switched from my LG Phone to a Galaxy, I did indeed feel "assaulted" ( as well as insulted ) I mean, what kind of ***** designs something like that for Adults ?!!! Just turning it on turned my stomach and made me angry. I've done nothing with my spare time since but try to come up with a way to rid my self of it. Does any one know of a Launcher that will take care of sub Menus ?! Dear God Please !!!

Steven Fletcher

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Generally, I don't make these kind of strong statements.
========================================

However, it is totally true. The aesthetics are really bad. But the real problem is not so much the choice of colors, but that there is no global setting like a theme or a skin. There is no way that I know of to change all people to say, light blue or light gold. You can change them - sort of but to change the color of a person you have to go a a persons text message, then select people and options and then select the pallet. In that pallet are a reasonable set of colors.

In my strongly held opinion this is either really poor design, bad implementation or bad QC or all of the above. It is disappointing to me that I upgraded for some features and lost several aspects of control.

Come on Google, you can do this. It ought to take a good programmer about a day to set the color settings at a global and at an individual level. I paid what $600 for this phone. Could you please take my money and pay someone to fix this. Please don't do what some other unmentioned companies do. Please.:'(

cjmack13

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I agree 100%. My galaxy s4 updated yesterday to lollipop and I cannot believe how horrible everything looks.It is just amazing that these horrible colors were forced on us with no option to change them!! Just amazing!! I am color blind and at this point my wonderful phone is now pretty much useless to me. Many of the screens are now almost unreadable and even the ones I can read are horrible. I have never considered Apple because I don't really care for anything Apple but now I'm at a complete loss as what to do. I'm really really really annoyed that someone allowed this horribly ugly OS to be forced on us with no option to stay with 4.4. I have not been this annoyed and disturbed ever about any product in the past. Not only do the colors make the phone almost useless but I am also now seeing issues with bluetooth connection to my pebble watch and delays when changing songs that I never saw prior to the update. I loved my phone before the update to lollipop and I can honestly say that I now HATE my Samsung S4. This really sucks.

S3kk3N

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I personally think lollipop looks cool I've got a Sony and it has 5+ themes to choose from and I can change colours on most things plus it's extremely responsive, but there's a but unfortunately the app drawer and notification bar is the worst, freaking Wifi icon is half the size of my thumb! My friend has a Samsung we compared the 2 phones Samsung wins the hideous award...

miss kitkat

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Months and months down the road I just cannot get used to the ugliness either. I hate the glaring white of the background if I go into settings and the colors for contacts in both "contacts" and "messages" are horrible. Orange, orange orange...bleh. And, the mustard-green color? Guess what that looks like...Material Design match.PNG